Buying a Truck, would you buy outright or finance?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Schmitty105500, Jan 20, 2021.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    If you have 100,000 to spend on a truck then WTH are you getting in to trucking for? There are better paths my friend.

I'll answer your question though. Find about 50k worth of truck and finance it. Work hard and you can pay it off within a year. Too many surprises in this business, especially when you are new, to wrap up all your money in one thing if you don't have to. Even a $100k truck could have a $25k breakdown tomorrow.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tanksmuch

Tanksmuch Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Central Arkansas
    The nice thing about paying cash for a truck? You can park the darn thing ANY TIME YOU WANT. You can lease on to another company any time you want, you can take a break any time you want, you can tell anyone to kiss your rear any time you want, you can get out any time you want.

If you finance it, you have a payment you can't stop and insurance you can't stop.

4. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    You'll have insurance you can't stop either way.

5. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    I agree. Pay for it in cash, and make sure you have enough cash in your maintenance account.

Pay for your truck in cash, pay for your house in cash, and ensure you have sizeable maintenance account. You can enjoy your family, go on vacation and don't have to worry about spending 6 or 16 days on the road or if you're going to make enough money for all of your payments.

Too many jump in with too much overhead and when crap hits the fan are so far over leveraged they loose their truck, house and even their family. Always keep the odds in your and your families favor.

Tanksmuch Thanks this.
  6. Tanksmuch

Tanksmuch Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Central Arkansas
    Wrong... If I pay cash for a $30,000 truck, I can drop the insurance and let it sit. Risky? Maybe a little, but I wouldn't lose the truck to repo.

Vampire and flood Thank this.
  7. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    The real answer is whatever works the best for you.
    The bean counters are going to say finance the truck and put your $ to work elsewhere. The cost conscious owner will say pay cash

Tanksmuch Thanks this.
  8. Schmitty105500

Schmitty105500 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2020
    Thanks just looking for advice in the near future looking to buy a truck an do my own thing I know everyone has their own opinion on how you should go about it.

9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    It depends how much money you actually have. If you have say $200,000 and you are buying a $100,000 truck and trailer, I would probably put down maybe 50,000, and prepay your insurance. If you prepay the insurance it will save you a little money and it will be easier to make money. Then reevaluate it the end of the 1st year.

That way you have plenty of money left over and if at the end of the 1st year you did well you could pay it off or you could decide to just pay on it for another year or whatever.

10. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    How many times have you actually done this and who is your insurance through. Of course if it's financed you've got to have insurance on it, sitting or not, but with commercial insurance in my opinion stopping and starting over again doesn't work for insurers.

Enlighten me.

11. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    The problem with stopping and restarting insurance would be your authority starting and stopping I would think. Then starting over with some brokers etc. I also doubt insurance providers would go for that.

if you have enough cash in reserves I would pay cash. However there are so many variables all you can do is write out a plan and make a decision. Get real sage advice from people in it. This forum is great but nuts and bolts you need a mentor or two. I can’t say I disagree with what any have said here. All great points of whether to pay cash or finance.

Tanksmuch and 86scotty Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.