Buying first used truck advice

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Tai'ja Jones, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    And just keep in mind, you can blow all your savings, and lose your marriage in the interim, chasing down this sometimes elusive owner operator dream ;-)

Tai'ja Jones and danny23tx Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I caught it...I put some cushion on it lol

4. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Whatever he buys it’s going to be needing steady repairs because it’s a local northeast truck. Salt and potholes are hard on trucks especially wiring which on newer trucks can eat a big hole into finances . If op is capable of doing work on a older truck like basic wiring painting frame every so often shocks etc . He might be ahead with a older model.

Tai'ja Jones Thanks this.
  5. Hollywoodsaint

Hollywoodsaint Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2020
    Hollywood California
    I got my 2014 peterbilt paccar mx13 engine from Rush in Fontana, CA
    Had 420, 000 ...I got the year extended warranty....
    I had them do a dyno diagnostic test....runs about $300 or so but I wanted to know everything g about the engine and had them add it to the price.
    Read the warranty carefully before you buy it. Most warranty services won't cover electrical as I found out the hard way.
    Rush financed me with $6000 down and $1500 per month.
    Check everything on your truck when you do get it.
    - Check the fridge,
    -brake linings,
    -tires (no recaps)
    Depending on milage ask about
    -DPF filter changes
    -DPF overhaul (where they take the DPF pipes off and scrub or blast them cleaning them
    -check air conditioning (cab & sleeper) , hot & cold
    - listen for air leaks (get under the carriage if you can)
    - check your governed speed ( I had mine changed from 65 mph to 85 mph)
    I mean the basic stuff you dont think about about till you already signed the paperwork and are screwed because you thought of this stuff after the fact.
    Diagnostic test is the most important in my opinion.
    REMEMBER: Just because a truck looks Great on the outside doesn't mean it runs great on the inside

WARRANTY: I had only 1 issue the year I had my warranty...I dropped off the truck and a week later it was ready....when you have a warranty and drop it off they will eat your time....
    So I found a mechanic shop that had same day service maybe 2 at the most.....dealerships will take their time and are slow. I personally don't like dealerships and as far as Freightliners, lots of good mechanics out there that can get the job done by hooking it up to a JPRO and even cheaper than a dealership

Tai'ja Jones and macher Thank this.
  6. Hungry Trucker

Hungry Trucker Bobtail Member

May 1, 2019
    May I ask why you chose a Volvo over all other brands? This too will be my first truck...

7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    1) Had driven them as a company driver and liked the way they drive.
    2) The Volvo motor synced with their I-Shift transmission is a really nice combination.
    3) When I worked inside the office of the company I had driven truck for, I was able to build a relationship and rapport with the local Volvo Dealership Operations Manager and Service Manager. Which goes a long way in getting something done when needed.

8. GraniteState

GraniteState Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Allenstown, NH
    Biggest part about owning the truck is your attitude and goals.
    Had I bought a truck in my 20's I would of failed because I didn't really know what direction my life was headed in.
    At 33 and still being what I'd call a failure, working dead end jobs, living with parents etc. Decided to comeback to transportation having been away from the industry for 5 years with owning my own truck being the goal.
    Owning a truck is the commitment to the lifestyle. I stay out 6 weeks or more at a time.
    Back in my 20's I use to be home sick and have fomo moments but as an antisocial recluse it should of dawned on me earlier, as when I was home I never did anything new just went to work came home and played video games until I could no longer stay awake.
    If your someone that wants to be home on the weekend, has a family or a social life it may not be the best thing.
    For me I've never been happier and I'm enjoying my time out on the road, spent 6 months with western to get here and it was the longest 6 months of my life but was well worth it.
    I also like the feeling of driving and waking up every day in something that's mine. It cant be taken from me, feels like home.
    Bought my Kenworth from TransAm.
    2016 T680
    Why Kenworth? Was trained in a T2000 back in 09 ever since then I've wanted a Kenworth.
    Why TransAm? Truck was already equipped with Apu and refrigerator they also seemed some what reliable they sell a lot of trucks with many repeat customers from what I read.
    Came with a 30 day guarantee and a 90 day limited which didn't cover much of anything.
    Was offered a two year extended but was expensive and wouldn't have covered my latest break down any way.
    First week I owned the truck coolant leaks. All hoses replaced covered by transam.
    Third week oil leaks. Pan needed new seals covered by transam
    Latest problem shut me down for three weeks and cost me 10,000, extended warranty doesn't cover these parts.
    Had to have the BPV replaced and the ABS harness.
    Lesson learned before signing anything have the truck checked by a mechanic.
    Company:
    Looked around for companies my first choice wouldn't accept my contract release from Western, ended up picking CFI.
    I pay 106 a week in fees for insurance and base plate.
    Run mostly Midwest and south only seeing new england when I come home.
    No self dispatch which is what I wanted but I can turn down any load for any reason.
    Pulled my first load with them on 11/14 finished the year at 14,187 gross.
    So far I'm very pleased with CFI although I want a bigger share of the load. I kind of traded that for other benefits to ease my self into owning a truck.
    90% drop and hook
    Minimal down time. only had to sit twice because I was to far from a terminal to relay.
    They pay the IFTA and tolls.
    I get 1.02 a mile empty and loaded.
    My contract runs until the end of the year. Save up as much a I can and then reevaluate options, companies.
    My expenses are minimal as I do not have a loan on the truck.
    Got a car loan and I bought a purple mattress on credit for the truck so 1.02 works for me currently but might not work for you.
    I pay myself just enough to cover personnel expenses plus some throwaway money the rest stays in my LLC account for repairs etc.
    Finished the year with 5,000 in the account which got wiped out by this break down. Would like to build up a 30,000 cushion in that account moving forward.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    black_dog106 Thanks this.
  9. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    1.02 a mile , my soul hurts when I read that . Good luck

The_Great_Corn Thanks this.
  10. GraniteState

GraniteState Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Allenstown, NH
    Thanks.
    Been ok so far see how the year plays out. Defiantly want more next year though

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Seriously, $1.02 a mile is bad. This is why ... never mind.

The_Great_Corn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.