buying used

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by francesco, Apr 1, 2007.

1. francesco

francesco Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2007
    roselle, il
    hello everybody! Question! What s the most important & first thing to check when buying a truck from private party??One ftl 1995 im looking as a miss. What can be? thank u all

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    that's a very old truck. have a trusted mechanic go with you, or have the owner take you along for a ride to YOUR mechanic. do not trust the owner's mechanic, afterall, they are friends.........for many years.....

that old of a truck i wouldn't touch with a 25' pole................

4. francesco

francesco Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2007
    roselle, il
    its going otr!!Pro1driver what u think is good truck for OTR, with the less $$$ possible??:biggrin_2551:

5. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    how much $$$$ are you looking to spend..........???

6. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

When looking at a used truck from a private party, probably the most important thing is you are evaluating the owner as much as you are the vehicle. Does he seem to be on the up and up, telling the truth. Does his description of the things he says he has done to the truck match up with your mental image of him and his abilities. You can evaluate the truck, and a good mechanic can render an opinion, but you have to judge the owner as much as you are judging the truck.

Don't forget to look in the "Yard Sale" section on here. There are trucks and equipment listed there that can be worth looking into.

7. francesco

francesco Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2007
    roselle, il
  8. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    and if you live anywhere's near a Penske, or Ryder truck rental place, you can go shopping there as well. those rigs are usually under 300,000 miles and come with warranties as well. but, they will most likely be "fleet spec'd" rigs.........meaning no fancy frills.........

9. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

10K is a very low price for finding anything reliable enough to head onto the highway with. I would suggest that you concentrate on trucks that are somewhat out of fashion, such as cabovers, conventionals with smaller sleepers, smaller engines like L-10 or C-12, and other things like that which will limit your investment costs. You would be in somewhat better shape if you can up your price a little bit. With some searching, there are some decent machines that you can start with in the 15-20k range, but they do take some searching to find.

10. francesco

francesco Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2007
    roselle, il
    im in chicago, im starting up an o/o business. I just need a truck, my auth. , and some brokers... any suggestion everyboby??:biggrin_2554: P.s. I'll get my cdl in 1 month, maybe.(just passed pre-trip).:biggrin_25521:

11. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    then i'd say don't do this. you have no CDL yet and no experience as well....??

you need to get experience first to see what life is like out there on the road. i had my suspicions about your thread, now i am sure of it. if you needed to ask questions about how to buy a truck, you're prone to failure right out the starting gate. you have nothing to fall back on like good old fashion experience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.