Bypass oil filter, fuel water seperator?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DDlighttruck, Jul 21, 2017.

1. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Good investments? Reviews? Recommendations?

I'll probably do a Davco fuel/water seperator before winter.

I was reading in the Kevin Rutherford thread some guys were debating the bypass oil systems. Just asking for current thoughts

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Mine came with one. It has a fuel bypass for when the filter gets full. I never let it get that far.

I honestly cant tell you what benefit or how much better it is than before because I have no idea what exactly it does or what its purpose is. Only to never let the fuel level reach the top is what I was told. I change the filter with each oil change and pm service. Fleetguard seems to last the longest in there. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing. LOL

Hurst

KB3MMX and DDlighttruck Thank this.
  4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    a good bypass oil filter is a good thing to have
    it keeps all the real small stuff out of your oil BUT you must have oil samples every 10,000 miles so you know when you need to change the oil

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  5. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    First thing almost I learned about truck maintenance- 1/2 to 3/4 full change the filter
    True. Although I'm not interested in extending oil changes. From what I've read oil is cheap, why save pennies on oil to spend dollars on repairs.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  6. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    if you do the work a oil change is around $200 every 20-25,000 miles.....5-6 a year = $1,000-$1,200 a year for oil changes (more if you have a shop do it). oil samples (12 a year) at $20 each = $240 a year....
    oil samples will 1 tell you when you NEED to change the oil and 2 will tell you how the internal parts are doing so you can have repairs done BEFORE you end up on the side of the road with a big dollar repair that you could have had fixed sooner for less money if you know it was going to happen

7. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    If you are not going to run extended drain intervals, I would forgo the bypass filter and just run the extreme efficiency filters, the 5 micron wix.

The davco is nice to have, or the racor. Get the electric heater in either one. I have a restriction gauge in my dash for mine. You really can't change the fuel filter too often, unlike the air filter, but you are spending more than you need to doing so. At least run the 2 micron elements.

DDlighttruck and KB3MMX Thank this.
  8. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I'd be inclined to run a bypass oil filtration system that filters out soot, like the fs2500. My dad has the amsoil on his ISX and he gets good results with it. The problem with today's engine is low timing advance, and engines that breathe in their own soot to protect the environment, and when then soot loads it can cause issues like with the d13 Volvo or the isx. My Volvo had a three oil filter setup, and the cam was bad at 375k because soot kept the rockershaft from moving smoothly. It is an issue nowadays. My truck has less than 1 percent idle time too.

9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Part of the "soot" problem is traditional 15-40 oils. The soot thickens an already too thick oil.
    The new 10-30s, 5-30s don't have the soot thickening issue as bad as it takes much higher soot levels before it starts gumming things up and not flowing.

10. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    You don't have to buy these pricey oil bypass filter if you don't want to. Just plumb another oil filter up from the oil rail and it will do the samething. I still change my oil every 10k miles. But I run extreme conditions also.

bigguns, DDlighttruck and wore out Thank this.
  11. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    So another oil filter plumbed on the rail would give the same filtration of 3 microns ppm for 100,000 miles like some bypass systems do? Like I said, the d13 I drive has three full flow full size filters and the cam went down at 375k. My truck averages over 1 mpg better than the fleet avg, and has 1 percent idle time. The off the shelf filter doesn't compare to something like the ops1' gulf coast or amsoil, especially allowing for extended intervals and a cost of $5-600.

flood Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.