C-1 Truck Driver Training, Driver Solutions (PAM)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Nvr2L8, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Nvr2L8

Nvr2L8 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Cave Springs, AR
    Hello all,

I'm pretty new here. Last time I posted I was about to start my driver training at C-1 in North Little Rock, AR. I have a job offer to run for PAM upon completion.

UPDATE:

The course is 3 weeks. I drove down from my home in NW Arkansas on Sunday evening. I didn't know what to expect, really. I had read some comments, both good and bad, here on the boards. When I pulled up I saw a large gravel pad, about 8 or so older Freightliners hooked to well-worn trailers. I saw a series of older metal low buildings and several guys milling about outside. I was apprehensive to say the least.

I was directed by a very friendly individual to a 3rd week student who held the keys to the dorm. He was extremely helpful and kind and showed me just what I need, where to go and what to do. The dorms were very spartan, very simple but clean. 1st week dorm rooms are clean and simple. Just 2 - 3 beds (depending on room size) and some racks on the walls. I picked a bed and put down my stuff.

Bathrooms are individual but shared (4 individual bathrooms with showers located along one side of the hall). The bathrooms were very clean and well maintained. Spartan, yes, but we're here to learn to drive trucks, not live in luxury.

As I met students and staff I was more and more pleasantly surprised. Everyone was courteous and helpful. Throughout my stay of almost 3 weeks I never once saw or heard a fight break out nor did I meet anyone I felt uncomfortable around.

The pace is fairly quick. We would get up at 5:30 am, have breakfast and get to class by 7:00 am. Class until 11:00 with a break at 9:00. Lunch from 11:00 to 12:00. Class from 12:00 to 4:00 with a break at 2:00. The instruction was pretty fast paced but very adequate. I would highly recommend e-gears btw. It will get you up to speed much quicker.

Testing at DMV for the permit (written test) was on Thursday and we got in the trucks the first time for straight line backing that afternoon if I remember correctly. There was also a class on logging and a class on map reading and trip planning.

From that point forward we were in the trucks pretty much every day. Either practicing our pad work for the skills test or on the road learning how to maneuver. By the time I tested this last Wednesday at DMV I was ready.

The instructors are good. They work hard to get you ready and are very interested in seeing you succeed. If you apply yourself, don't goof off too much and are willing to listen you will pass your first time and get your career going.

I recommend C-1 based on my experience. Now on to PAM!

If anyone wishes to ask me questions please feel free. Always glad to help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tragic Magic

Tragic Magic Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Albertville Alabama
    I'm in C1 now in Ft Worth and it's pretty much the same routine here. We lost a day for the holiday so this week was at a faster pace. Everyone here gets along great and we're working hard but having a blast along the way. I just finished my first week so since i'll be going with USA after I graduate we have an obstacle course we have to master and it's not easy. We'll get started on that next week. But I highly recomend this program. They are fair and upfront about everything and the instructors are great folks.

4. Nvr2L8

Nvr2L8 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Cave Springs, AR
    That's good to hear. I was very happy with C-1 and wanted to pass that along. There's enough negative stuff out here. I remember when I first started reading the boards you would think trucking was the career from hell the way so many whine and complain. Now that I've gotten to know some long-time truckers and have been able to talk with them face to face, learn about their experiences, I realize this is just like any other job in America. It's what you make of it.

Good luck with the rest of it. That pad work is fun. Heck, it's all fun.

5. Choo Choo

Choo Choo Bobtail Member

May 10, 2009
    Alabama
    Went to C1 Little Rock, and finished USA Orientation yesterday. Sitting in motel waiting for trainer to pick me up, tomorrow.

6. Nvr2L8

Nvr2L8 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Cave Springs, AR
    Hey Choo Choo. Good luck with that. When did you leave C-1? Did we cross paths?

7. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    you at the meadors?? dumpy rooms but the restaraunt is really good and cheap

8. SmokeMac

SmokeMac Medium Load Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Hey guys wait till you get out here before you pass judgment on the guys that whine. There is plenty to whine about its a job. Myself I would like to make a living sitting on the couch drinking beer and watching sports center. Just can't find anyone paying top Dollar for it though

9. Nvr2L8

Nvr2L8 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Cave Springs, AR
    Lol! Smoke, that's funny. I wonder if one can make money sitting on the couch drinking beer and watching sports center? Now there's a job!

At 49 and having been in quite a few varied careers and jobs I can feel fairly confident that this one is no worse nor better than the others. Just work hard, keep a good attitude and go with the flow. All parts of life are what I make of it.

newbie67 Thanks this.
  10. Choo Choo

Choo Choo Bobtail Member

May 10, 2009
    Alabama
    Yep, the lovely Meadors. You're right about the restaurant, but I have stayed in worse rooms. There are 18 of us here waiting on trainers. Really ready to get on the road.

11. Choo Choo

Choo Choo Bobtail Member

May 10, 2009
    Alabama
    Nvr2L8,
    Left C1 June 18, went home for a week, the came to Van Buren.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.