C-15 Accert Turbo blades damaged by mechanic

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Leopard, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Leopard

Leopard Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Aurora , IL
    Hello, hope you all having a great weekend. Don't know what was in my mind when I took my Kenworth for the first time to a shop that looked to be legitimate and looked like they know what they're doing. Have a Cat BXS in my 2004 T6. I have invested in this truck a lot of time and money to make sure it will stay reliable when I go on the road. Was planning for some time to replace the coolant hose 2 of them by the turbocharger precooler. Accert engines has 2 of them and I decided that is time to replace them. Took my truck to shop asked them to change those 2 hoses together with thermostats and install a new Teltek water temp gauge. Was told by the owner of the shop that he has to take off my 2 Turbochargers so he can have access to those 2 coolant hoses. I said you can do without removing them but will be more difficult that's all. So they didn't listen to me and they removed some parts of the turbochargers to have a better access to those hoses. When I got to the shop knowing that they are almost done with the truck they started the truck and some insane sound of breaking metal was so load I thought my engine will explode. So truck was shut off but not immediately. mechanic was like everything is ok. Me..Reall?? I asked to take off the turbocharger cover so I can see for myself what my turbochargers look like. Of course the blades were damaged and the high pressure turbocharger is gone. This owner keeps saying that my turbo broke on it's own. Really???This happened on late Saturday. I'm including pictures of the damage and have a question to you all if you know anyone who had similar experience and what really happened?? Please any help will be appreciated!. Thank you.

Attached Files:

magoo68 and jamespmack Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Leopard

Leopard Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Aurora , IL
    Hello, hope you all having a great weekend. Don't know what was in my mind when I took my Kenworth for the first time to a shop that looked to be legitimate and looked like they know what they're doing. Have a Cat BXS in my 2004 T6. I have invested in this truck a lot of time and money to make sure it will stay reliable when I go on the road. Was planning for some time to replace the coolant hose 2 of them by the turbocharger precooler. Accert engines has 2 of them and I decided that is time to replace them. Took my truck to shop asked them to change those 2 hoses together with thermostats and install a new Teltek water temp gauge. Was told by the owner of the shop that he has to take off my 2 Turbochargers so he can have access to those 2 coolant hoses. I said you can do without removing them but will be more difficult that's all. So they didn't listen to me and they removed some parts of the turbochargers to have a better access to those hoses. When I got to the shop knowing that they are almost done with the truck they started the truck and some insane sound of breaking metal was so load I thought my engine will explode. So truck was shut off but not immediately. mechanic was like everything is ok. Me..Reall?? I asked to take off the turbocharger cover so I can see for myself what my turbochargers look like. Of course the blades were damaged and the high pressure turbocharger is gone. This owner keeps saying that my turbo broke on it's own. Really???This happened on late Saturday. I'm including pictures of the damage and have a question to you all if you know anyone who had similar experience and what really happened?? Please any help will be appreciated!. Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Reason for edit: Removed racial reference.
    jamespmack Thanks this.
  4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Well it's just a guess but my money is the mechanic accidentally dropped something in the intake side . When truck was started it got sucked into the compressor. Only way that turbo would look like that is from injesting a metal object. I'd say a nut or bolt fell in there.

I'd say they owe you a turbo charger. They dont just fail like that on there on while engine is idleing.

Joetro, snowman_w900, magoo68 and 6 others Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That definitely looks fresh. Some idiot must have left a wrench or fastener inside a before closing everything up.

6. Leopard

Leopard Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Aurora , IL
    I share same opinion as you do. Also there is a big chance this idiot took off the turbocharger cover and didn't sit it properly when he reinstalled it back. He has guts to say now it broke on it's own... I'm waiting for Monday morning to take it to a CAT dealer for inspection of reason of damage but I know like you do the answer I will get. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

jamespmack Thanks this.
  7. Leopard

Leopard Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Aurora , IL
    Owner has guts to say that it broke on it's own. He wants me to believe it. Told him coming back on Monday and I asked yo take off the turbocharger so I can take it to a CAT dealer for inspection of the damage and write a statement of cause of those blades to be damaged like that. I'm not proud of myself that i let someone to work on the truck without knowing how knowledgeable they are. Seemed to be an easy repair that turned to be a big downtime. "Swaan" Thank you for sharing opinion on this.

FlaSwampRat, swaan and jamespmack Thank this.
  8. david0982

david0982 Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2019
    I’d say they owe you a new turbo.

FlaSwampRat, jamespmack and Leopard Thank this.
  9. Leopard

Leopard Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Aurora , IL
    Only problem is to prove that they did it. From what I saw and heard from the owner of the shop he keeps his statement that it broke on it's own. I'm taking the damaged turbocharger to CAT dealer on Monday for inspection of reason of what really dadamag those blades. "David0982" Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on this thread.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    My first thought was same as Swaan's. That kind of damage does not happen from air. It definitely looks like something went through it. I'd tell them they better find whatever it is that went through it because if its still in there, it could bounce around and thrash the new turbo or cause damage to other parts.

Feedman, wore out, 062 and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Leopard

Leopard Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Aurora , IL
    Could it be from not aligning turbocharger cover properly and rubbing against the housing inside ? They removed the cover of turbo and I'm towards that they didn't align it properly when they reinstalled everything back together.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.