C-15 seems to have a miss and loss of power

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rollin coal, Mar 27, 2018.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    My truck has been parked for a few weeks with full fuel tanks. I left out yesterday and noticed it seemed like it had a miss. It's not a really bad pronounced miss. This is barely perceptible. It seemed to clear up somewhat after driving 80 or so miles but I can just tell the motor isn't right. Power just isn't where it should be. It's not throwing any codes. All my gauges are reading normal. Boost is around 35-40 psi where it's always been. Fuel filter gauge looks fine. 2003 MBN. All new fuel lines were installed about 5 years ago. I was wondering what any of you guys would recommend to check?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    My first guess would be water in the fuel filter. I'd start with a set of fuel filters.

xsetra, Dave_in_AZ and rollin coal Thank this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Injector cut out test......

maybe an injector gave up ?

rollin coal Thanks this.
  5. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I hope not. How much are injectors $500 apiece plus about 3 or 4 hours labor? I hear you guys say remain injectors look pretty bad and can be a crap shoot. Can you get brand new and is it worth it or just go with reman and take a chance? At least they will warranty them for a year.

But before jumping to expensive conclusions... I was going to replace the secondary and clean the screen in the primary when I got back home. I was going to dump some fuel treatment in when I topped it up next before going home. Probably need to replace that o-ring in the primary it hasn't been replaced in many years. Maybe sucking air? I dunno.

###### I didn't need this. I just hope it's something that can be found. I was reading about somebody on here with some kind of problem like this that nobody could find the cause..

6. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    All 6 injectors were replaced in a platinum inframe about 5 years and 250,000 miles ago.

7. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    One other thing. I can't tell it's missing at idle even if I bump it up to a 1,000 rpms. That's how slight it is. I don't think I noticed it when I bobtailed it on a test drive during those weeks when it was mostly parked. It was only when I had my trailer and left out yesterday that I could tell. And then loaded. But this miss is slight and I hesitate to call it a miss but that's what it feels like. I know what they sound like when you have a bad injector and are missing noticeably. This seems different but then again maybe it isn't and that doesn't matter.

8. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    250K after inframe. Might consider a tune up first. These cold stumbles and misses can be a bugger to catch. If it still acting up, wait til it gets worse.

Oxbow and rollin coal Thank this.
  9. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You mean an overhead adjustment? That was done less than 100,000 miles ago.

Dave_in_AZ and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Yup, do the easy stuff and then put it on a lap top some where that you trust.....

Last 2 injectors (1 at a time) l bought I asked for reman which weren’t in stock so I got new at the reman price....:)

Don’t remember how much tho.......

Oxbow and rollin coal Thank this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Ouch. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.