C-15 seems to have a miss and loss of power

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rollin coal, Mar 27, 2018.

1. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Reman.

Oxbow and SAR Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Most Cat injector issues I encounter are engines that had platinum kit with the supplied reman injectors. I have had bad ones straight out of the box.

Big_D409, Goodysnap, Oxbow and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I would think air would be more of a consistent miss...... but I don’t know jack.

I guess your out of the platinum warranty..?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    Mine is not a software, it is a mechanical switch that just plugs in between the harness and the head; you start it up and push whatever cylinder button you want to cut out or any number of them.

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    The problem was a broken spring on #6 injector.

04 LowMax, RET423, Diesel Dave and 5 others Thank this.
  7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    How did you find it....?

8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Well I wasted last Monday and Tuesday at LaVergne, TN Thompson CAT. Cost me $630 to ride down the road for an hour cutting out injectors and then a dyno run that they said they couldn't even complete due to my engine modifications. They're not my go to shop but they could get to it Monday and my go to Manchester shop couldn't look until Wednesday. Manchester is the only people I trust and I know they do good work but I didn't want to wait until Wednesday.

So last week LaVergne didn't find anything. I called Manchester and told him what they did and it was disappointing they couldn't or wouldn't find my issue over some silly engine modifications that had been that way for years and were never a problem. He said bring it to them this past Monday and they'd look at it.

So yesterday we took it over Monteagle up and down both sides twice so I could get it to repeat the miss I hear on long pulls. I had my trailer hooked, it was empty tho, and had a helluva a time pushing it to repeat the problem but I got it to do it twice that last p4ull.

But really that was a waste of time. Before we even got to Monteagle when we first got on the interstate he cut the injectors one by one and pinpointed #6 as weak. I dunno why LaVergne didn't hear it. So we let it sit overnight and this morning they were to check the overhead adjustment, have a look see and go from there. They found the broken spring. He's not charging,me for 2 hours of joyriding over Monteagle yesterday after knowing what LaVergne did or didn't do. Some labor and a new injector. They didn't have an,injector on the shelf but will have one in the morning I should be good to go by lunch tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    mladen86, T800H, RET423 and 8 others Thank this.
  9. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    Very Good!
    Sorry the first guys sucked so much they didn't run the rack or know how to read a cylinder load test but at least you will be back where you belong soon ;)

And thanks for the update, most times threads like these just die and we never get to hear how it all turned out!

Ruthless, Oxbow, rollin coal and 2 others Thank this.
  10. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I intend to buy a troubleshooting and diagnostic CD like SAR suggested in an earlier comment in this post. An injector height tool, barring tool and feeler gauge too. Really after having this truck almost 10 years now there's no excuse for not already having that stuff. I just didn't have the time or money to do a quick crash course on it myself in the here and now. These past few weeks I've just been running some freight close to home covering expenses and getting my truck looked at as I could. This set me back several weeks of normal income the time that I've lost to this. Admittedly I've been a tad lazy this winter too. Time to get busy now. Appreciate everyone's input. Fingers crossed that this problem is all solved by the time I get my truck back tomorrow.

Big_D409, mladen86, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    How much is an injector...?

I’ve forgotten

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.