C15 smoke at idle injectors?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by C15Mike, Nov 14, 2018.

1. C15Mike

C15Mike Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2016
    I have a 04 C15 MBN “debridged” with a stage1 BW turbo, 6nz cam with all new rocker arms. I had it together for 20k so far and just recently it started to have a noticeable amount of blowby out of the tube off the valve cover and white smoke out of the exhaust at idle, if I raise the RPM it clears up. Did the bottle test and no bubbles so i know it's not the head gasket. Doesn't stumble or seem to have a loss in power. I’m thinking its a problem with the injectors, maybe a bad Oring letting combustion gases come up into the valve cover hence the increased blow by? But why the smoke then? Can anyone tell me the best way to diagnose this? I should have all day Saturday to see if I can figure it out so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jokerone33

Jokerone33 Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2018
    I had a mbn motor would start smoking like that when the filters would get a lil clogged up it was very sensitive when was the last time you changed the fuel filter obviously this will do nothing for the blow by but it could be two different problems

4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Just because the bottle test came up negative just means your not getting combustion gas in your cooling system.

Head gasket can be breached between cylinders and or letting compression into the base. The smoke you have at idle is from low compression and the blow by is from that compression going into the base.
    Sounds like the typical cat 5-6 cylinder liner sunk.
    Who did your rebuild? Did they take the time to cut all 6 holes and shim to spec? Cats are very fussy, they need a real good hand when rebuild time and going the cheap route never works.

I really dont think its inj O rings. If you had compression getting into the oil side of engine it would have to get past the fuel side and it would be running real bad then, not to mention filling your oil with diesel.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  5. C15Mike

C15Mike Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Not sure on the rebuild it def wasn't done at cat though. Not sure how many miles since it was rebuilt also, I had the truck for a little over a year so far. I am getting a little coolant seepage/bubbling between the spacer plate and the block on the passenger side rear of the motor? Is this something that will get much worse before it needs to be addressed? Like I said its running fine now. Thanks for the help

6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    It will most deffinatlly get worse over time. It will start missing cold eventually also. How much longer who knows.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.