CA speed limit for commercial trucks! (poll)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sixela918, Jun 23, 2022.

What speed do you run in CA?

1. 55

10.9%
  2. 60

40.0%
  3. 65

23.6%
  4. 80

9.1%
  5. No comment

16.4%
  1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I run 58-60 all day everyday out there. Passed multiple chp with radars shooting , never been stopped. They really only stop the guys that running 65+

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    It will never change. I was born and raised in the Bay Area. Back before the Intersates were built. Old US 40 ran from San Francisco Sacramento and beyond. It was 4 lanes but the truck speed limits were either 55 or even 45 mph in a lot of places.

Bean Jr., Coffey and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It's all about safety. Come on you all know that. I always got away with 62 or 63

F4T6UY and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Yeah, my first time out (1957).. Came off Tehachapi and hit 99. Nice 4 lane, good , smooth. Going Frisco. Opened it up and got the red spotlight on my mirror within 5 miles. A red plastic lens held on spotlight by 3 metal springs. (Yes, I was intrigued. All us in MS,AL, GA, TN, LA, preferred the chrome configuration on the top- More visible, sounded better in open air vs the in grille.) I bragged on such a good road compared to "back home". He asked what speed limits MS had. Embarrassment, 45 mph. 45 MPH. here too he said. So, a warning to the kid from the south long way from home.... Next and last was SB thru Redding.
    (OEM car, Highway Patrol TV,. Black Dodge, white doors, lens on spotlight to flick your mirrors, big gold emblem on doors.)

Bean Jr., Coffey, tarmadilo and 3 others Thank this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I usually run 58 to 60 and haven't had a speeding ticket in California yet. I've been stopped and warned for doing 62.
    What you have to watch out for are the "Zero Tolerance Days" when they'll stop you for anything over fifty five. They probably won't write you but they'll delay you and chew on you for awhile. The zero tolerance days are seldom advertised but they do it on 80 between the Bay Area and Truckee and I-5 just about anywhere.
    If you're headed south from the Bay on 5 and all of a sudden everybody is doing 55 it might be a good idea to get your foot out of it.

7. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    It has to do with number of axles, a bobtail 2 axle truck can run 70, no problem.

8. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    If there's a cop or something on the shoulder, you have the option to slow down if it's unsafe to move over.

Bean Jr., Coffey and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I'm 76 yrs old and have lived here almost all my years (probably 70) and I've noticed some things in the state NEVER change, like the truck speed limit. However, our upper level management at the CHP in all fairness do let trucks run 60/61 without ticketing. It's like an "un-written" rule. Taxes never change, last call at bars never change, a permit to build new construction near the ocean ? Plan on a long wait. I was quite surprised some years back when DMV started issuing 5 yr drivers licenses instead of 4 yr ! Now if only they would change the vehicle license plate design, the current one probably 20 yrs old.

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The speed limit signs don't give an explanation. You can guess like anyone else why the communist states have lower limits for trucks.

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I do 60, but all of the FedEx and LTL wiggles go past me doing 62-64 even if CHP is visible in the media or CHP is giving a Safe Driving Award to someone on the shoulder.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.