CA speed limit for commercial trucks! (poll)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sixela918, Jun 23, 2022.

What speed do you run in CA?

1. 55

10.9%
  2. 60

40.0%
  3. 65

23.6%
  4. 80

9.1%
  5. No comment

16.4%
  1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Ohio used to have trucks at 55 mph and the cops there could be pretty anal about.

Bean Jr., D.Tibbitt, tscottme and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Like the Saxon song Steel Wheels live at Wacken.

4. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    And way back (in 50's) some of the roads, narrow lanes of 4 each, patches on top/alongside patches, were pretty well self policing. Especially at night in some of their massive deluge rains, well mixed with the oil slicks...

5. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    A recollection from my youth growing up in Cali:

The 55MPH truck speed limit was a legislative knee jerk reaction to the speed limit for trucks raising with the regular speed limit after the National 55MPH speed limit was done away with.

For a while the first part of the local news broadcast was taken over by the number of truck accidents in the S.F. bay area. It was not a question of if somebody died, it was a question of how many people died. Many of the trucks, as I recall, involved were the beat to crap local Port and delivery stuff that was not maintained properly. As drivers drove closer to the degraded limits of the trucks stuff broke and people died.

Unfortunately to raise the limit they would need a legislative action (State Senate and House) to change the laws. No real political interest for that.

The increase in the number of hours and locations of scale houses/inspection stations have helped to put a check on bad actors.

I believe with the B.I.T. program they have made progress towards actual safety inspections of Cali carriers. Every 2 years they can review the companies inspection data. And they are allowed/required to focus on carriers with not good safety records.

https://www.chp.ca.gov/CommercialVehicleSectionSite/Documents/O chp800h.pdf

Second piece that drove that legislation is the historically poor maintenance of trailers pulled by the general public, specifically the tires. We've all seen the crappy trailers folks haul stuff to the dump with. May be fine on a county/city road, not good at interstate speeds. Until the overall quality of these units come up, it will be difficult to justify changing the laws. The political push to raise the limits may come from the toy hauler crowd, but it will be a long ways off

6. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I've only been there once. I did 55. Now that I've been at it almost two years, I'm more comfortable, and have much bigger balls. So I think I'd be okay bumping it up to maybe 56.

You know the border of Tennessee, where it's 65 cars and 55 trucks? I'm that sucker in the right lane doing 55.

Concorde, krupa530 and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    55 for trucks preceded the national speed limit. When 55 was enforced nationwide, California removed the 65 mph and "for trucks" and left 55 signs up.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Because 56 mph has caused cancer in California lab rats.

9. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Eventually they'll ban oxygen, I've never met a person with cancer who hadn't indulged in that toxic chemical through digestion and inhalation.

10. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas

11. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    This is the state that doesn’t arrest for theft and gives DLs to illegal immigrants right ?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.