Cable tv in truck w/o tv or dish or antenna

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by IndianaF150, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Unlimited Hotspot?

Do tell,.. because nothing I read on their website advertises this.

Hurst

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I picked it up from an outfit in ID. It was a $330 down stroke, $199 for the Netgear modem, same price on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Expl..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=EXCBS3AKWSGRFB922C56

$130 for set up and what not, I own the router/modem, no contract, $99 a month.

It is true unlimited data, use 500gb a month if you want, not that I will ever use that, but you get the drift. Best part, no contract. It came yesterday in the mail, had a full charge and hooked right up. I'm in a rough cell area, only two bars right now. I just did one of the internet speed tests and she is clocking in at 20 mbps download 1.8 abs upload. I hit 30 mbps last night when all was quiet. I have the antenna coming, should be here tomorrow. https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-6000..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=HHJJS0CEMXRXT3AP81CS

What I really like, is that the modem broadcasts on 5ghz, which is best for streaming. My other unlimited modem, T-Mobile, only broadcasts at 2.4 ghz. I have been waiting for an AT&T deal like this, and it finally became available and I jumped on it. I have had AT&T service before, and where I travel it beats the other carriers, and trust me I have had them all.

Currently I have Sprint phone service, and if this modem works like I think it will, I can run off of the AT&T wifi in the truck going down the road. Sprint is a heck of a lot better than what it once was, but AT&T still kicks their butt. I like to stream certain shows going down the road, hopefully this will cure some of the Sprint glitchiness.

I shall report back. ;-)

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Yes Sir. Bigger footprint. I"m sorry to tell you. I tested the waters for almost a year before making the switch.

Remember that post with the zte mobley and $20 per month hotspot plan?????

I can listen to iheart radio on my motorcycle in a wider coverage. I have phone service at outdoor concerts. I can even use my phone at home. And on the way to work and home.

I have a lot more coverage with att then I ever did with verizon.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  5. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Same observations here comparing Verizon and AT&T. The only reason I am with Sprint for phones is the cost, AT&T was getting stupid expensive. I have my bill down to $200 vs $600. I have a few family on cell phones. The real unlimited data on sprint is very nice too, so much so that I bought an iPad to stream on to watch movies in the truck. I want the hotspot for my laptop, which I spend the most time on. Sprint only offers 10GB a month on the hotspot side.

snowwy Thanks this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    This is what you should have bought for $200 from bestbuy. Capable of 1.0 gighertz downloads.
    I've had speeds up to 65 mbps downloads. I bought it when it first came out. To replace my zte mobley hotspot. I still get the unlimited for $20 per month.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-n...u_81au4sED0lSysW3h0aAg2gEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The note9 i just bought. Capable of 1.2 gigahertz. Highest I've seen so far is 125 mbps.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I see a better footprint with att over verizon. And have service in my city where verizon hasn't worked for a few years now. PLUS, i like receiving directvnow for $20 plus free hbo.

Course, 5G is starting to light up. And with the tmo/sprint merger. It could be a different game come next year with coverage and service. But at least the claim is unlimited internet. So far. Verizon is offering 5G for $50 for customers and $70 for non customers. They've got 4 cities coming online next week.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  8. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    When you say unlimited for $20 a month, is it true "unlimited"? I have had those deals, but after 10 or 20 GB I have to start paying extra to get my service back, and it is not cheap and a PIA. This deal, I can use 500 GB and not worry, it is a flat $99. The router I have is essentially the same at the same price point. How are you buying your data?

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It's truly unlimited. It was designed and planned to be used with cars. It plugs in to the obd2 port. People came out with 12V adapters. Popular device with Rvers. It wasn't fast though. Only had the 2.4 channel and the best I could get was 30 in a very strong signal. It's average was 5 - 15 though. But did the job for streaming netflix and what not.

I have a chevrolet with the hotspot built in now. $20 per month billed through onstar.

My att billing says unlimited on the hotspot. 970 gig cap on the car.

The zte was discontinued last year. The $20 plan is also no longer offered.

10. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I have a 2017 Silverado with the hotspot, what did you do, tear it out of the dash? I can't fit my pick up in my sleeper.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    my 2017 came with the hotspot. Just like your 2017 Silverado came with it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.