Cable tv in truck w/o tv or dish or antenna

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by IndianaF150, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Did you dig the OnStar unit out of the dash and install it in your big truck? I am trying to wrap my head around the data plan you are using and where you found it. You have to buy data from someone, and I don't see anything from AT&T that is $20 a month for truly unlimited data, especially on a hotspot. Even the new AT&T premium service that they advertised as "Unlimited" is only good for 22GB a month. And there are restrictions on hot spot usage.

Where are you finding true unlimited AT&T data for $20 a month on your Netgear router/modem?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    REread my posts. You missed some of the conversation.

I started with zte mobley. The netgear replaced my zte. :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  4. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Well, that doesn't help any of us here today, but good for you. Honestly $99 a month is a good deal in my experience with all of my usage, especially for AT&T. I primarily stream everything through the stereo in my truck, and I eat up a lot of data a month. My Sprint service is true unlimited, but we all know Sprint, they are still lagging behind Verizon and AT&T in coverage. I hear it from the granddaughter all the time. ;-)

snowwy Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Sprint had greatly improved from when i started otr to ended otr 6 years ago. I had a few towns it worked and verizon didn't. But verizon had improved also from beginning to end. YOu needed a newer phone to see the improved coverage though. I never bought a newer phone with sprint though to see how much better it got.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  6. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I have a half a dozen of the iPhone 8s's and the latest iPad. The only thing newer is the new iPhone X, which I may try out, still have a few months left on my 8s before the upgrade plan kicks in. Everything is running the latest firmware, including the MacBook Air, latest model.

As far as Sprint, I really cannot complain. They have greatly improved their service, they are night and day from the last time I had their service. And their hotspot is extremely fast, but is limited to 10GB a month for all devices. I burned through that 10 GB in around 15 minutes when I tried to upgrade the firmware on my iPhone the other day. I'll give this AT&T service a shot, so far I am impressed with what I have experienced in my notoriously bad cell area, lots of very tall trees.

snowwy Thanks this.
  7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Your confused,.. I dont even think you know what you are talking about.

I can show you the foot prints,.. ( Active service coverage areas) and Verizon has 2x the foot print of ATT. I keep track of these things. If you were correct I would be an ATT subscriber. The only reason I am not is because they have a smaller foot print. There is no debate or argument here. You are either confused or stoned,.. possibly delusional as well.

Hurst

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    This is mobile or for the home?

Hurst

9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Actually, you can use it for both. I have a signal throughout the entire house with this particular unit. There is also a base station router that is compatible with it. https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-DC11..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6E32ZW2CG1AQ43P5EWVW

I have no need for the above router.

I'm going to run it over to the ex's house, my old house, and see if it works out there. I had a T1 line for years there, but turned it off when I left. They have satellite internet which is terrible for around $150 a month. My old AT&T service did work at the house, so I am expecting this to do the trick and get her some reliable internet in the house.

The antenna I have coming for this Netgear modem https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-6000..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=48EMQ187M9PFKD50X1VN has suction cups to mount in one of your home's windows. If the Amazon reviews are to be believed, some folks are getting over 50mbps speeds over the 5 ghz channel. That is more than enough to stream movies and do normal stuff on the internet if your only choice is a satellite system or a very expensive T1 line at 1.5 mpbs...

Hurst Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Real world experience.

Works better then maps every time. Better accuracy

11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    LOL OK,.. I wasnt aware that you know every square inch of coverage,.. the expert on who is larger,.. Verizon or ATT. Personally,.. I think you have a tinfoil hat on,.. flat earth kinda mentality. But who am I to judge.

All the analytics and research that firms have done must all be mistaken,.. because you know more than they do.

Hurst

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.