Cadcadia is over charging my batteries!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Shotgun94, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    Just got a new truck it's a 2013 Cascadia with a Cummins engine and after a few hours of driving the voltage will go from 13.9 or so up to 16 volts and when that happens the ABS light, check engine light, transmission light all come on. Is anyone out here had this happen where suddenly you have Christmas lights on your dash but the truck runs fine I don't know if it's something simple or if it's my alternator or what any advice or anyone who had this issue before appreciate your information!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Voltage regulator in the alternator.

FoolsErrand Thanks this.
  4. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Gell batteries?

5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I don't know about the Cascadia, but some trucks' voltage regulators get their voltage reference from a separate wire that runs directly to the battery instead of referencing the alternator's output voltage. If that wire's connection becomes corroded or loose, this situation could happen. Same for corroded / dirty / loose battery terminals.

6. Shotgun94

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    I'll let you know what the outcome becomes. Appreciate all and any other feedback.

7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Might be killing your batteries to. They need to be load tested. Try knocking on the alternator it could have dust buildup. It is overly dusty everywhere right now. Thanks to the Sahara blowing dust all over the planet right now. Not kidding.

8. hectorgomez862

hectorgomez862 Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2018
    I agree, sounds like a false signal getting sent somewhere!

9. Shotgun94

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    Well it hasn't been doing it the past few days. Very strange. All I did so far was zip tie a few loosely wires that were around the turbo. Only thing I've noticed now is sometimes it will not want to go into gear when I put it in drive on this 10 speed auto

10. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Similar problem but different cause, I think. I had problems with voltage so I checked around and found a cable that had been rubbing on the air tank. Moved cable and now alternator is WAY over charging.... Cable had evidently been rubbing for a while and had to have been grounding out on the air tank. Charging problem worse now that cable isn't grounding out anymore.

11. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I would load test the batteries first. Sounds like it's working hard to charge one with no luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.