CalArk Transportation / Averitt Express

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Flatbedder 1966, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Flatbedder 1966

Flatbedder 1966 Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    I have narrowed down my choices to two companies given the location I’m living in and a couple of other factors. I’m looking to go to work with either CalArk trucking or Averitt Express and would like to know if there are any drivers out there that have worked with these companies or that know anything about them personally. I’ve read all the websites and a lot of these forums but there’s not a consensus either way good or bad. I am coming off the road as a tour bus driver for the past 2+ years and trying to decide what is the best company to start with for my first year. I have just under a year semi tractor-trailer experience. I’ve always had a class a CDL with all the endorsements and a perfect driving record. Looking for something where I can get the miles and start out at a decent pay rate but also a company that takes care of their employees and their equipment. Both companies are offering what seems like a pretty good deal especially given that I’ve got less than a year actual semi experience. I know there is good and bad in every company but I would like some insight and details from people that have actually worked there or know somebody personally that has worked there. Thanks in advance for any information you can give.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @Flatbedder 1966 I worked for averitt for 2 yrs, I started as a regional driver then transfer to local city pd.

Pro (regional driver)

Short runs that are less than 100 miles, you will be paid 400 miles

Equipment is either a volvo or freightliner and all auto fleet

No need to stay at truck stops as averitt has terminals along with showers.

Benefits are pretty reasonable

Pay im sure it has changed by now, I started at 37 cents then every so often you get a raise, when I left regional I was making 40 cents a mile.

Now the cons
    Miles vary at first you would run hard 2500 miles a week, but then there would be times those miles would decrease and you might have to sit a day or two. From what i was told averitt is working on keeping drivers running as they have noted people leave when they make no money.
    I think for me thats about the only cons I can think of averitt as they are a decent outfit to work for. Also @tscottme worked for averitt for some time. Maybe he can shed some insight about averitt.

Good luck

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Flatbedder 1966 Thanks this.
  4. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
    maybe averitt should pay drivers by the hour when they sit.

5. Flatbedder 1966

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    They say they have detention pay after 2 hours but it’s at the companies discretion as to whether or not they pay it. Don’t like that idea. It should be automatic. Not, we will look into it and may pay it. Detention is detention.

6. Flatbedder 1966

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    If you don’t mind me asking , why did you leave them?

7. Texas_hwy_287

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @Flatbedder 1966 get on their dedicated accounts you would make more money than truckload, such as crack a barrel, handy hardware, leslie supply etc. I know for fact those drivers get paid more including stop pay and touch pay loading and unloading etc.

Good luck

Flatbedder 1966 Thanks this.
  8. Texas_hwy_287

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    I left them because I wanted to work for Old Dominion, nothing against averitt culture pay or benefits. Decent outfit I just wanted to move on

tscottme and Flatbedder 1966 Thank this.
  9. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Old Dominion prolly better benefits

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  10. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Didn’t Dread the Pirate Trucker from YouTube worked for these 2 companies lol

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  11. Flatbedder 1966

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    He’s worked everywhere according to him and all those companies sucked. Looks like he’s the common denominator/problem. Just a big whiner that likes spreading crap in my opinion.

tscottme and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.