California Hazmat

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Krispy52, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Krispy52

Krispy52 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2021
    So I plan on going to CDL school in a few months. I wanna get my permit and all endorsements before school though so I can just focus on the truck.
    Can I do the TSA background check before I even have my permit??
    Also can I take the hazmat test the same day I take the permit test??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sureshot 58

Sureshot 58 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2021
    Southern California
    GE krispy52,
    I studied on my own went to DMV passed all the endorsements I wanted with them, but hazmat. Went to DHS website made appointment with them online and signed up for my TWIC card and showed them I needed the Hazmat endorsement? Got finger printed, took badge picture, paid the money for both got my receipt and made new appointment with DMV online and I went back there and passed Hazmat at no extra charge! They update paper work and off to school I went. The TWIC card is at the house and pending completion of driving school for Hazmat endorsement with DHS approval will all be on my license if I did everything correctly?
    Remember you can not get hazmat endorsement through DMV without DHS approval? And another caveat to this is you must have cdl drivers permit with you to show your in training for this and it will be for pre-employment in the future. Plus any other documents they listed? I took my passport as well everything went smooth! Good luck hope this helped?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Yes, the TSA background check is seperate from obtaining the CDL. BTW, If you ever change states, haz-mat endorsement does not transfer either, you must re-test and redo background and prints for TSA. The TSA thing used to take like 45 days or so to receive, not sure in the covid era if that has changed. I think most DMV will let you take and pass the test then give you so much time to return with the TSA credentials. Unless it has changed, there are usually just a few locations to get the TSA stuff in each state. Depending on where u live, you may have to drive a few hours away to do it. I have had held hazmat in a few different states over the years.

You can take any of the tests anytime you like.

5. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    The TSA check took me about 21 days to get the approval notification on there site(you can check your status). The card came about a week & 1/2 later.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.