Came Across A Driver Who Hates Drops & Hooks Along With Swaps

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by born&raisedintheusa, Aug 12, 2021.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If I’m not personally affected by it, probably not.

Now, when it costs me time, money, or aggravation it’s a different story.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    I’d rather keep a known acceptable (or good) trailer than rolling the dice. 18mos in and I’m still finding “new” things that can be damaged on a trailer.

bzinger and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    You old Tattle Tale you!

FTR, Big Maude says there’s three ways of communication around our parts. “telephone, telegraph and telefrank”. Ain’t true though! I can keep a secret. It’s the people I tell that have big mouths!

5. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    We have this problem in the long haul world when the company day cab loads a defective trailer that has been written up but needed to be emptied . Tosses the tag and says it’s the highway guys job to pre trip it.

6. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I don’t like drop and hooks.
    I really like live loads after re negotiating my detention pay/policy.
    They get one hour free to unload me after that it’s 35$/hr and it back logs.
    Edit: missed my original point.
    I do a detailed pre trip and choose trailers in good condition. I don’t want to fight with something stupid.

you want unloaded in a hurry tell the forklift driver “no rush man take your time, you guys are paying me 50$/hr to sit here”

7. Chrisap55

Chrisap55 Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    I don't mind picking up pre loaded trailers in our flatbed division but picking up relays from other drivers has always been a nightmare. Once picked up a 46K coil with only 2 coil racks, all of the chains I could shake by hand, and the tarp was just thrown over it with dunnage holding the excess on each side with a strap over them. No tarp straps. More often than not they also don't leave the BOLs anywhere and I have to waste time getting them faxed to me at a truck stop.

When I was dry van, it was pretty much the same thing. Every time I picked up a pre-loaded that's already closed and sealed, it's a mystery until you open it up at the cons. Have opened the doors to having wooden spools falling out on me to pallets of Gatorade all shifted and leading because the shipper didn't put airbags between the pallets.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  8. Chrisap55

Chrisap55 Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    When I was dry van, I was the same exact way. I'm not answering that phone somebody has to come knock on my door and cuss me out to leave. Gonna get a split sleeper break started at least and collect some detention if not get my 10 hour break over with.

9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    My company maintains theyre trailers very well and if I do pick up a trailer with issues it's usually because of the lazy driver before me ...fortunately that doesn't happen often, when It did happen I would call safety to complain but I don't bother with that anymore as they are afraid of hurting lazy drivers feelings and sweep it under the rug .
    Now i just call maintenance and make them send a service truck to me
    Last time was a trailer dropped at miller's in Milwaukee with a blown tire and apparently the last driver was blind and deaf cause he couldn't see the warning lite on front radius or hear the air hissing out of the auto inflation system.
    Service truck to the brewery that day to mount the spare was almost 600.00 ...maybe that will get someone's attention.

10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I am going to guess the driver worked for Western Express. The sad state in many of the trailers I was told to pull was abismal at best.

Flat Earth Trucker and bzinger Thank this.
  11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Tho if that driver had such a problem with that company. Why was he still there?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.