Can’t decide - Help!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MrArtixx, Jun 19, 2018.

1. MrArtixx

MrArtixx Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Hello! I’m currently in CDL class, I’ll be graduating and getting my license in a few weeks. I have been doing some research on different companies and found the three that I feel would be the best fit for me. Those would be Melton or Halvor and TMC. I talked to someone currently working for Melton and they answered all my questions and were straight forward about it. So I have a pretty good idea of what it would be like there. I have tried to do some research on Halvor but the only “reviews” or real information other than their website is 5-8 years old. So I don’t consider it relevant to now. Can anyone tell me personal experience with how it is working for Halvor? I have a good amount of questions about the company that I know if I ask a recruiter they will tell me what I want to hear. Which isn’t what I want. I want the truth of what I can expect for miles and their trucks and such. So if anyone can help that would be awesome!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll choose Melton. With some reservations. Only because of the three you presented.

Never mind the miles. It's about expenses and setting aside savings.

If you are handed a 1000 mile load at .50 It's a 500 dollar run, set aside half for taxes, withholding etc that leaves 250. You only need about maybe two days to do this less than that actually. Call it 50 in your pocket for your water and food.

That leaves 200 set aside ready to go at any time for savings.

If you had three in a week with 70 hours.. you would be sitting on 600 (Unspent savings) Potentially 2500 a month saved. Not spent.

A year? 25000 maybe. 10? Buy a house. Oh wait.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. MrArtixx

Jun 8, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Halvor does percentage pay, 27% to start. Say they charge $2 (TMC charges a bit over $2 a mile) a mile at 3k miles a week that’s 6k. 27% of 6k = $1620 a week. Say 1k after taxes and stupid crap. Then $200 a week on food and other expenses leaves me with 800 a week to save. 4weeks a month would mean around 3.2K a month saved. If not a little more. I’m leaning towards Melton or Halvor but I have some unanswered questions about Havlor. Plus with percentage pay, as Havlor charges more per run/load my pay would scale with it.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive done percentage work at 25% back in the 80's turned out the rig earned a touch over 2K each week in the NE no less. (Paid off, fuel payroll and any wrenching plus losses in tires etc were our costs plus taxes etc)

27 sounds a little too low today. Then again if it can do maybe 5000 dollars a revenue weekly then it's way better paychecks than I would have seen in my time at 25% of 2000.00

6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    3,000 miles is a lot to expect doing flatbed.

RustyBolt Thanks this.
  7. MrArtixx

Jun 8, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Even say 2500 miles a week it’s still more than CPM.

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i do not know how TMC is these days, back back when i had an "interest" in them, i was told that they provided you with a can of wax (or polish), rags etc, and they REQUIRE you to polish that truck.

NO WAY, was i EVER going to use MY OFF time to polish anyone elses truck..

i have waited in line for a truck wash, (that's a given some days) i ALWAYS keep the inside spotless, but i will NEVER use up my precious time beyond that.

now however, if i WERE AN OWNER of a truck, then i'd either pay for that service, or do it myself, IF i have the spare time, after doing any PM service or other VERY IMPORTANT things to the truck/trailer.

company trucks get washed only,,,,,,

Trucking in Tennessee and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    If you know the answer why ask the question?

10. MrArtixx

Jun 8, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    They told me they pay for a wash every week but it’s mandatory to get it washed once every two weeks. They didn’t say anything about polishing. If they did want me to I’d tell them it’s $25 an hour. I agree with the spotless inside of the truck though. Whoever I drive for will have a pretty nice interior of their truck when it goes back to them one day. I hate messy space, especially if it’s that small.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    Typical question asked many times “What’s your location”? We see Pennsylvania but maybe narrow it down! Unless you’ve already decided.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.