can’t sleep on cpap

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by crazybread, Oct 16, 2017.

1. crazybread

crazybread Medium Load Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Hey, I have been on a sleep apnea cpap machine for 2-3 months now and have not fall a sleep one time. I would like to know if this is common or not for some of you to not be able to still at all with the cpap at all. My doctor just tells me that it’s all in my head and that is the reason I can’t fall a sleep.so I just been using the cpap machine just to get my 4.01 in a night every night so I can show them been using it but it’s not working.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's some new lightweight ones out now that just cover the nose. Don't know what they cost. Google for them. www.rpmhst.com may have something.

4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    My wife has a nose mask for her bipap, it even has a swivel where the supply hose connects so she can move around.

OP, my wife fell asleep faster, and stayed asleep for longer periods with hers right from the start...but, if I had to use one, I would most likely be like you or worse...I couldn't handle having to use one.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's better. I was just reading that can buy nose mask or mouth mask, depending on how you breathe. They're getting better it seems.

6. Rickp

Rickp Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Ward, AR
    the only time i have a problem is when they try to mess with the settings and get the pressure wrong for me. when its set right, i fall asleep fast and sleep way better than usual.

Puppage Thanks this.
  7. LWT104

LWT104 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Around the corner
    My dispatcher wears one. He says he sleeps a lot better with it.

8. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    I sure do. I couldn't sleep without it.

9. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    Make sure your machine uses a lower pressure for the first 15 minutes.....then it ramps up to the full pressure. If you turn it off an then back on you can get another 15 minutes of low pressure on my machine. It automatically gives a 15 minute low pressure period when you power it up.

What bothers you the most when you wear it? The mask? There are several styles to choose from. I didn't like the one over just my nose as it seemed to press on my sinuses too much.

I switched to a full face mask covering my nose and mouth and I like it much better.

I sleep so much better with the cpap machine....i could never get a good nights sleep without.

Another option for you is to see a plastic surgeon about having throat surgery and possibly not needing a cpap machine......I had a surgeon offer me that option but I declined......as some of my sleep problems are more brain related than physical restrictions in my throat.
    You might check inti that.

10. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    My wife spoke to her bipap doctor about a surgical remedy for OSA instead of a machine. He said that to be honest, that's only a temporary fix because skin and tissue continues to stretch and grow. And as you get older, it starts to settle (remember the old joke about joan rivers face lift surgery...as in "if she had any more face lifts, she would have a goatee"). He said that the surgery is expensive and painfull and would have to be done every 7-10 years. With her bipap, she just has to have adjustments as her body changes.

He did say there is a pacemaker type implant going thru trials now for non-OSA apnea patients, but instead of zapping the heart to keep it in rhythm, it zaps the muscles of the diaphragm to make you breathe.

Pumpkin Oval Head and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    This is the one I use...fantastic. It's the Quattro FX. Very comfortable.

upload_2017-10-16_9-46-53.jpeg

Smut, 417bigK and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.