Can a brokerage broker and dispatch trucks?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by FlashBolt, Nov 13, 2017.

1. FlashBolt

FlashBolt Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I wanted to know can a freight brokerage both broker freight and dispatch trucks with loads that aren't theirs?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Do you mean can a broker run trucks, and broker loads to other trucks that they don't own? The answer is yes. This is pretty common, actually.

4. FlashBolt

FlashBolt Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    No like if I can dispatch for a truck and use a different broker but I am a brokerage would this be double brokering or would this be ok because i am only dispatching for a truck

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Brokers have freight. They either own trucks with a shell corporation covering same or have you dispatch a truck to them. It's common. But a can of .. er... barrel of monkeys...

6. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    I would guess that that depends on how it's organized. If you're finding freight for a truck, and acting as a dispatcher for that truck- in that moment you're not a broker, you're that truck's dispatcher. Especially if you're doing business as his dispatcher, and operating under whatever authority they're operating under.

Now, if you're taking a load you've found on the board as a broker, and then re-issuing that load out on the board for a truck to come find it, then yes, you're double-brokering. Don't do that. Every time you double-broker a load, God kills a kitten. Please think of the kittens.

Avrakotos Thanks this.
  7. FlashBolt

FlashBolt Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Haha yeah we do not double broker and that is why i am trying to make sure is not happening so we are under a broker authority but want to dispatch as well can we do that?

8. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    I mean, you can. I don't know if you should, but you can.

9. OnRoadAlliance

OnRoadAlliance Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2022
    As far as I understand, you can "re-broker" a load only WITH permission of the original broker (and maybe need shipper's approval as well), then it is considered "co-brokering", not "double-brokering", and this IS legal...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.