Can a company legally interupt your 10 hour rest period

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Daddydame, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Daddydame

Daddydame Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2013
    currently in a situation where a company interrupts my 10 hour of duty period, it is beginning to take a toll on me physically. We are a union outfit and supposedly it is agreed upon that this is ok. Any advice or regulations I can cite to help , please and thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    They are allowed to call you or send you a message via satellite or whatever. They are not allowed to ask you to break the HOS rules. Whether or not you answer is between you and the company. Imagine if they had to set their own alarm clocks as to when they were allowed to call you once your 10 hours is up. It is much easier for them to just send you a message and you can answer it when you wake up.

4. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    What do you mean by interrupt? Do they call you, or do they make you work during your break? If they just call you on the phone or send a QC message, it's probably ok. But if they make you do work of any kind, you have to log it on-duty and restart your break when you're done.

5. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Anyone can interrupt your 10 hr rest period. You have the choice whether to start that period over again.
    However, why set yourself up for a break like this?
    Turn off your phone, turn the volume down on the QC (bury it under a pillow or blanket, as management can turn it up remotely) and get your rest.

alds, TokyoJoe, double yellow and 2 others Thank this.
  6. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    What if they are calling you to warn you that a meteorite is going to fall on your head? I would want to take that call!

It could happen, you know!

alds Thanks this.
  7. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Are they using the qualcomm or calling you on the phone?

8. Hamburger71

Hamburger71 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2014
    North Carolina
    Stop responding. Eventually they will think you are a heavy sleeper. Foam ear plugs are awesome! Turn off your phone and the volume on the the other and sleep. Once you wake, check messages and respond.

NavigatorWife and Daddydame Thank this.
  9. Moving Forward

Moving Forward Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2014
    New England, USA
    Call your union rep directly and ask him/her to define the specifics of that so-called agreement with your company... it might very well just be a line of BS coming from the dispatcher/etc. Good luck and remember that your good health and safety ARE VERY IMPORTANT!

NavigatorWife and Daddydame Thank this.
  10. Daddydame

Daddydame Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Thank you, they are calling me on the phone, after 8hrs, but I have been disciplined for not answering my phone during my 10hrs

11. Moving Forward

Moving Forward Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2014
    New England, USA
    Can you tell us what company you're working for?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.