Can a company legally interupt your 10 hour rest period

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Daddydame, Sep 7, 2014.

1. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL

Husband did this one time in Johnstown, NY at Walmart. It had snowed and was cold out, hung qualcomm out the window in a plastic trash bag. Took care of that problem.

The company was bad about doing that all hours of the sleep period, it wasn't just the last 2 hrs.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
  4. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I wouldn't be shady about it, put a stop to it. I been a union hand a long time, first thing you do is go to the stewart on the job find out if they can or can't by the agreement. If they can then you either need to accept it or move on its about that simple. You said you had been disciplined for not answering so apparently they are not asking you to violate HOS. You also said after 8 hours so I'm thinking there is the answer about the union contract. Its common for employers to call employee's when they are off. You have the choice of not answering, accepting the outcome, putting up with it, or moving on.

5. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    I simply would not answer. A phone is a device enabled by a human, not a taskmaster demanding action(unless you allow it to have that affect on you), don't be a slave to a device that is a convenience. Turn the #### thing off when you are off duty.

slow.rider and TokyoJoe Thank this.
  6. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Well this can be done only to a certain extent. They can still ping your QC in your truck AND remotely turn in up even if you turn it down, to a point some would certainly call harassment.

It's why I suggested that if all else fails a more devious approach may be required... (scroll back a few posts).

There is nothing more perplexing to dispatch and management, than a tech savvy driver... with a creative mind, and the intestinal fortitude to use it. Don't be a: :dark1: LOL!

7. Alaska76

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    I caught what you posted earlier, felt no need to expand on the remedy regarding the QC mentioned by you and others, though. I felt compelled to respond regarding the phone , because I HATE PHONES, always have. It is sick how many people are literally slaves to the #### things, really. Have to agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence in particular!

slow.rider and shredfit1 Thank this.
  8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    OFF DUTY, whether sleeper or line 1. Relieved of ALL RESPONSIBILITY.

If they call you about company business, simply restart the 10 hour period.

That being said you may want to pick your battles. I do not answer the company phone when off duty/sleeper. They can leave me a message. I drove for several years when there was only payphones and the loads still got delivered on time. They can leave me me mail on the elog system also.

Discipline for sleeping for when off duty on a rest period. I dont thnk so. You said your union, file a grievance. There again pick your battles.

9. shredfit1

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Newer drivers and perspective drivers typically don't understand why some of us, that have been in a game a while, suggest a rather devious approach. One must understand, that some of these companies have very little to no respect for drivers, and it's a trend that seems to be getting worse. Heck, many don't even trust drivers to route themselves any more, and every move is watched and recorded by GPS tracking, including bathroom breaks.

Ex: A few weeks ago while getting fuel I overheard a driver talking to dispatch behind me, while waiting to pay for fuel. This driver HAD to explain to dispatch that he DID have to stop from time to time for bodily functions... AND being this was the case, decided to fuel at this point. In other words, dispatch was questioning the reason for the drivers stop, and why the driver fueled...

For those that don't know: It NEVER used to be this way.

10. Alaska76

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Ah, micromanagement, that is something I hate more than phones! I have no tolerance for such things and I let employers know that when it occurs, it is very difficult to find a job where one is treated like a responsible adult, it is a sad state of affairs, but given todays world there seems to be fewer, and fewer people capable of making good responsible decisions and leading a productive lifestyle.

slow.rider and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  11. shredfit1

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    I understand your point. However, how can a new driver acquire the skill set needed to be a competent driver/route planner if the new driver is never allowed to do any of it him or herself? If a new driver is never allowed to make critical decisions about their route or variables about the route(icy roads as an example)... this puts all of us in a more dangerous situation whenever driving conditions are compromised. This is why a lot of us have rather strong feelings about this trend, as we ALL feel our lives are now involved and are in perhaps MORE potential danger.

JolliRoger and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.