Can a driver with severe herniated disk drive with oxy prescribed by his MD?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by InternationalTrucker, Dec 19, 2013.

1. InternationalTrucker

InternationalTrucker Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Dallas,TX
    I have a friend who has contracted a very good driver. Always on time and zero issues for over a year driving for him. However, this driver have 3 herniated disks and went thru therapy, steroid shots, esi and the doctor finally prescribed OxyContin to keep his pain under control. Seems like he doesn't have any issues to function well taking these, but my friends is afraid that dot may not approved the driver to be behind the wheel. Again, the guy works perfectly fine and don't seems high at all...but for legal issues we are both concerned. Please send your answers...and keep to what the dot may say...not what you think.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    I don't have the definitive answer but I highly doubt he'll be able to drive legally while taking oxy.

InternationalTrucker Thanks this.
  4. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    DOT will tell him he can't drive. Any narcotic prescribed or not is against the rules...

5. InternationalTrucker

Oct 22, 2013
    Dallas,TX
    Too bad for the poor guy. Excellent driver. One of a kind.
    i wonder what he is gonna do now, since driving is all he has done his whole life.

6. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Have his Dr. check him out while he is taking the Meds. there are some meds that you can't take while driving but he can when he goes into the SB Mode. Check into it before just telling him, he can't drive anymore!

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    A driver can get a letter from their doctor saying they are stable enough to drive on a narcotic. That's the first hurdle but I doubt a doctor would put his neck out like that or a medical examiner will approve the physical. Second he'll never get by company and insurance requirements with such a letter. The insurance company will say no we aren't insuring anyone taking narcotics.

His only hope is surgery and get off the medicine which is highly possible.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  8. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Not going to argue with Condo Cruiser because he has the keys to the trap door, But I know otherwise. With the letter and all, But like I said not going to argue. Thanks.

9. InternationalTrucker

Oct 22, 2013
    Dallas,TX
    It makes sense not to take during driving period but to safely do so on off duty and sleeping. It is gonna be up to the doctor now.

10. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    No company or insurance carrier is going to allow someone behind the wheel while on a narcotic. If said person were to have an accident, that will be the root cause of blame automatically, no matter if he was 100% not at fault and 100% legal. That's a law suit waiting to happen and not something any company will want to deal with.

Does the search bar not work anymore? This question has been asked 100 times over.

11. slammed

slammed Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Tell him (while he's off work) to try using EXTRA STRENGTH TIGER BALM on area causing the pain. He may be able to work using that. It would need to be reapplied while he's working but then that's better than wasting time trying to get medically certified on a narcotic. Walmart sells Tiger Balm for certain & Walgreens I believe in pain ointment section.
    Good Luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.