Can a drivers pay be withheld until the company gets paid for the load???

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Jerseydollxox, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Jerseydollxox

Jerseydollxox Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2017
    My fiancé is illegally misclassification as an independent contractor by his boss...he works for a small car hauling company.

1) he lightly damaged a car, and his boss was going to make him pay for the whole thing (4000) because he didn't want to go through his insurance for whatever reason. If that legal?

2) his boss never pays him on time and every time he basically needs to hunt him down to recieve his paycheck. Now, he has paid him most of his paycheck for the last load but hasn't gotten paid the lasf $475 because "Carmax still hasn't paid for two of the cars." Is that legal? After all, his boss has made 75% on all the other cars so can obviously cover the money he owes to my fiancé, so why in the world wouldn't he just give him what he is owed? It is very frustrating every time!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    Contact the state labor board to get paid. Contact the IRS about his misclassification. I would not pay towards the damages ... do not know if your fiance signed an employment contract stating he was responcible for any damages. Find a new job, not working for a shyster trying to skirt the tax / insurance system

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    The longer a driver lets that type of thing go on the harder it is to get his last pay ck. after he finds a better job.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Why does your fiancee continue to work there? He's not being paid and is being abused because that's what he chooses.

bigguns and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  6. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Light Load Member

He must enjoy it- he's also heading into Marriage!:banghead:

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    He is not very smart, you should look elsewhere for a mate. Just saying.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  8. Red379

Red379 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2015
    You stated:"He lightly damaged a car...". So what are we discussing then? If driver damaged it then be the man be responsible for what you did. It is driver's responsibility to safely load unload vehicles. Or you think its his boss responsibility who can be 1,000+ mi away from there? I thing boss has a right to hold $. But personally me... It depends I had situations where I just split the cost of some damages/repairs with my drivers 50/50 only if its a GOOD and honest driver and I know it happens once in a long time accidently with him. Otherwise its on drivers. If its something serious and damage is huge then yes I have to claim it with my insurance but the driver will have to go and find another job. Interesting how some ppl wants to get paid but do not want to be responsible for anything.

9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Do you also share the business profits 50/50 with your drivers?

10. Red379

Red379 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Of course but it has nothing to do with it. My point is you have to be responsibly of what you do.

11. Red379

Red379 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Sorry for typo I was gonna say of course not obviously.

Demonrogue Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.