Can an american citizens residents in Canada work in the USA?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by newbtr1, Jul 1, 2015.

1. RDBG

RDBG Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2016
    I can tell you first hand I am American citizen Canadian permanent resident for years driving a Canadian truck with a Canadian licence. I have never had an issue other than the occasional perplexed American border guard.

It usually goes something like this.

I hand him American passport.

"How long were you in Canada?"
    "I live in Canada."
    "What do you mean?"

That's usually about the time they wake up and actually look at everything they have in their hands and you see the wheels start turning. Still never an issue though.

Never had the occasion to even consider an American company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Do you have a work permit or do you only run international freight only?

4. jimbo47

jimbo47 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    southern MB
    RDBG yup my old team buddy used to get the same from the us border guys ,,,,,,,once they started to lecture him on something ,Ken just handed them his passport and it was all yes sir no sir welcome home they never even looked at my passport. Another one was he was stopped in the US and was told his trailer was dirty he walked to the back of the trailer with the cop and Ken says my lights/ marker tape are clean,same along the sides and ken told him it snowed all the way down and would be washed when we delivered ,cop then started on about Canadian drivers well ken took out his us passport and asked the cop for his # etc,and told him he would come back and contest any ticket as he needed a holiday,I was listening at the bunk window trying not to laugh. No ticket and away we went. All true !!.

5. RDBG

RDBG Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2016
    I've lived in Canada for many years but I'm an American citizen too. I think most of the time they just don't even really notice the trucks

6. SwitchingLanes

SwitchingLanes Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2017
    So with all that being said, im a Canadian born and raised, i also have my class 1 ( new driver ), do American companies hire Canadians? Lets say i was interested in working for a big U.S carrier, would that even be possible and how would someone go about doing that? Maybe call a U.S carrier and see if they give work visas or something? I have no idea how any of this stuff works or if it's possible.

7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yes, you can wok for a U.S. carrier... but not in the U.S.

As a Canadian, without a U.S. visa/work permit, you can deliver goods to or from the U.S. You can also deliver goods to another foreign country via the U.S. You cannot pick up AND deliver goods entirely within the U.S. This would include picking up goods in the lower 48 and delivering them to Alaska, or visa versa.

upnorthwpg and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  8. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Bang on. I work at my bulk break terminal in the states nightly. I'm limited in what I can do. I can break trailers to get my freight, must stop once I get it. Cannot finish breaking the trailer. Cannot hostle, unless moving cdn trlrs, cannot load American freight.

not4hire Thanks this.
  9. 25hz

25hz Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I met a Canadian guy who was living in Mexico, and drove a US plated truck, for a US company, out of Montreal. He flew from Mexico to Montreal to pick up and drive. He said living where he did in Mexico (on some coast) was super cheap and that's how he could fly.

10. 25hz

25hz Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2015
    . . . but he can work for a US carrier in a US plated truck, and pick up in Canada, deliver in the US, then pick up in the US and deliver back to Canada, rinse and repeat. I met a Canadian driving for a US company in Calgary who was doing that. I don't know if he could pick up and then deliver in Canada though.

11. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yes to the first. As far as picking up then delivering to locations within Canada; yes for the driver, maybe for the carrier.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.