Can an employer garnish wages if you accidentally damage a tractor while backing?

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Loc dog, May 8, 2018.

1. Loc dog

Loc dog Bobtail Member

May 8, 2018
    Employees are charged for towing if they accidentally run put of fuel.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Did you sign anything in orientation stating that you agree to being charged for such?

Tmc charged us the first $300 for a load claim. If we didn't agree, they would route you to a terminal and wouldn't dispatch you till it was agreed

4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    How do you "accidently" run out of fuel? I'd make you pay too. Maybe fire you too.

Roger McG Thanks this.
  5. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Well then, do it on purpose then they can't charge you.

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Next time just jump on the CB and see who wants to sell you some fuel for $10 a gallon.

7. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    It's only legal if you're stupid enough to sign a contract with that clause.

rabbiporkchop, special-k and LGarrison Thank this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Stupid company will only allow one to fuel at their "preferred" station and driver tried being honest when reporting the fuel amount. I.E. at half a tank he sent in 4/8 full when he should have sent in 3/8, or in some companies, 2/8 a tank.

NavigatorWife, truadvocate and snowwy Thank this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    OP doesn't mention if he's working for a mega or not.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You never accidentally run out of fuel.

You should be charged for letting it run dry and the costs associated with the losses for such. As a professional your first job is making #### sure you have a ocean of fuel under that tractor at all times.

I think only maybe twice Ive had fuel issues and they were supported by other causes and not charged back to me. I exclude a third local little rock employer who allowed one tank never to be used for weight purposes and thus gelled over time. Eventually when I opened it after the other ran dry it killed everything. I did not take too long to realize this particular employer is too stupid to argue with so that one is in my pocket.

In winter it's even more important to fill at half tanks, even if you do it twice a day. Fuel = life and options.

There is 300+ gallons on that rig. That's 1600 to 2100 or so miles if you stay off that red line. The USA is only not much wider than that. Accidentally my foot. /sarcastic.

I don't understand the brain drain among drivers these days. In my time we had no computers except what God gave you between the ears. And sometimes a good trainer will knock it a little bit until you are working correctly he he.

11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    In most states and most cases - no.

They can fire you, but that's it.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.