Can DOT Highway patrols search your truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Landstar2206, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    You have a link to support this?

Or is it just your opinion?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

I agree with you that most of the cops probably are OK fellers.

How ever I was given 2 speeding tickets that were 100% in error for the alleged incident on the ticket.
    Even tho they made me mad as hell I figure that they might have been making up for another time when
    I deserved a far larger one and didn't get it. :biggrin_25525:

4. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    I won't argue with a cop normally, but not because I'm afraid of their gun. If I get caught doing something or it's a normal traffic stop, inspection, etc, there's no problem. Now I had one time that I was called out to impound a car out of a city park. I was driving a flatbed and already had a car on that I had to drop in the street. The car was down in the grass in this park, the grass wasn't dry, and it's pretty obvious what happens when you drive a truck off the road when it isn't dry. The cop was telling me to do it anyway. Not a good idea to tell me what to do with my truck.

I ignored his orders and backed down the wide sidewalk until I was close enough to winch the car over and get it loaded. That took about an hour, after which he came huffing over and informed me loudly how annoyed he was about having to sit and wait so long. Oh, no. He had to sit in the A/C for a while. Well that set off an argument that ended up with us nose to nose. I finally told him that next time he could sit and wait for a wrecker since my truck was not designed to winch cars out and he stomped off, got in his car, and burned rubber for about two blocks. I thought that was pretty funny. So did the guys down at the impound lot and the officers he worked with. None of them liked him.

joshuapowell61 Thanks this.
  5. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    LOL, i cant believe a cop broke your exhaust! :eek:

Anyway, I have another reason for not arguing....As far as i know, every cop car i might encounter has a dash cam. I also know that it records....audio. I would really prefer a few days to think about my story before I go to court to fight that ticket... ;)

The only time i ever got pulled over for speedin, cop says...."Do you know how fast you was goin?" ..i said..NO! ;)

You know full well why i said that. And yeah, he saw my speed before i slammed my brakes. And fyi, i wasnt trying to. This was downtown and i know better. I just forgot that i hadnt got up to the speed limit increase out of town yet.

Oh and i did argue with him a little. Cause he told me i had a warrant and i didnt believe him. But he was right. Sure woulda been nice if someone woulda told me BEFORE that...they were going to extradite me too.

Oh, really?
    Where have you ever seen a federal dot?

What if you get pulled over in washington dc?

And since you mention it, the only people who have ever searched any part of my truck were border patrol officers. And the only ones who searched it beyond checking for illegals were canadian border patrol.....

I've also had people tell me that only feds can break a seal on a trailer, yet i see several threads on this site where regular dot officers are saying its normal to check cargo securement.

And by the way, I haul a lot of customs bonded loads, and if a cop ever tells me he's going to break the seals on these... I'm going to stop him and call customs before I let him. :) Chances are customs would throw a fit on that, but theres CBP offices everywhere...who knows what kind of BS could be unleashed... But those loads are very special.

6. DI11

DI11 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2010
    as a CDL driver? :/

7. grizzly

grizzly Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Layton, Ut
    Absolutely not!!!

8. DI11

DI11 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Just to clarify.

9. grizzly

grizzly Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Layton, Ut
    Still the same answer, absolutely not!

10. DI11

DI11 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2010
    So from what I understand, they can make you wait for them to get a warrant (which will take an hour) or ask to inspect (only look on the surface) your truck if you rub them the wrong way?

11. Truckers Advocate

Truckers Advocate Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2010
    This thread is incredibly ridiculous. And I’ll try to kill it asap, I’ve been known to kill a few thread’s in my time. I read a half dozen or so pages and was truly amazed by the mudslinging BS contest going on. Please EVERYONE take a deep breath and use what God gave us between our ears. Please be patient. Actions speak louder than words so if you can back up your claims with verifiable and reliable links it would help to further your position of an argument. So here is mine. First of all do a little research yourself; second if you do not understand the subject in question get some advice from someone who does, preferably professional. I thought that this was one of the main reasons for this unique forum, definitely MY BAD. Third use some common sense, an example of COMMON SENSE, An officer of the law has a badge, a stick and a gun, even if the officer is wrong in an interpretation of the law or situation, he possess these things with the full authority of the entity that bestowed them to him or her. So it would behoove anyone to use common sense with respect to that point. My uncle taught me that one; he was a U.S Deputy Marshal. And just for the record I am neither pro or anti law enforcement, cops are just like you and me, people, human, good and bad. So if you asked me if I liked cops just after being “hooked up” I’d probably tell you that they’re all a bunch of idiots. If you asked me that same question after a cop arrested a child molester trying to sneak in my kids’ bedroom window I’d swear they’re the greatest thing since sliced cheese. I’m human too! I may not be the brightest star in the sky but I know how to read and it only took me a few minutes to find multiple court decisions of this very subject including the Supreme Court.
    So I will share them with you all.

STATE OF MAINE v. KEVIN D. CLEVETTE, Defendant - Maine
    Appendix E: Kernats, Michael. Inspection, Search and Seizure of ...
    UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v. VASQUEZ_ CASTILLO - FindLaw | Cases ...
    An Explanation of Probable Cause - Associated Content ...
    United States Court of Appeals

So I will answer the original question that started this unbelievable thread.

YES

And there is a case within these links that gave an officer probable cause because of a radar detector.
    Read them please!
    RESEARCH
    COMMON SENSE

If you still think I am wrong that’s your right but if you test your theory in the real world don’t be surprised if you are carried by six instead of judged by twelve.

Just My Opinion

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.