Can Fuel Haulers Smoke In Their Cab?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by mogan2006, Dec 30, 2011.

1. mogan2006

mogan2006 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2009
    fort myers, fl
    I was wondering if you are allowed to smoke when you r hauling gas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rodzilla

rodzilla Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2010
    white mountain lake, az
    Never hauled gas but I wouldn't think it would be a good idea

4. Nakmuay

Nakmuay Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2010
    chattanooga tn
    No

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

5. Bill104

Bill104 <b>Pepsiholic</b>

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    Well if you're smokin call a doctor humans don't smoke, but if you re asking weather you can lite up a ciggeratte while hauling gasoline then, well hell no unless you plan on blowing up a bridge, althou I used to lite up my ciggerattes while hauling diesel fuel but thats me, ether way don't let dot catch you. B104

6. pathfinder1361

pathfinder1361 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    i would think not. also if you are transporting fuel for one of the major companies (ex. BP, Mobil, etc.) they have many, many safety rules. you are not supposed to be on the cell phone either while driving (hands free or hand held). if you were witnessed smoking, could be problem!

7. mnpitman

mnpitman Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Minnesota
    Our company has a policy against it, but believe it or not, I know drivers who do smoke in the truck. Doesn't seem like the smartest idea to me since you've got your gloves in there with you & maybe even a drop or 2 on the boots & legs of pants, but we haven't had anybody incinerate in the cab either. If somebody really wanted to push it, smoking within 25 feet is a violation, but have never heard of it being enforced.

8. pathfinder1361

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    i have seen guys at the exit of the port pull over, stand in front of the tractor and grab a smoke. (loaded with fuel)

9. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Um, the cab is part of the vehicle, and the law frowns upon that sort of thing.

D00d, really? Did you actually read the regs or just put the book under your pillow in an attempt at learning-by-osmosis? :biggrin_2559:

10. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Bingo!

§ 397.13 Smoking.No person may smoke or carry a lighted cigarette, cigar, or pipe on or within 25 feet of—(a) A motor vehicle which contains Class 1 materials, Class 5 materials, or flammable materials classified as Division 2.1, Class 3, Divisions 4.1 and 4.2; or(b) An empty tank motor vehicle which has been used to transport Class 3, flammable materials, or Division 2.1 flammable gases, which when so used, was required to be marked or placarded in accordance with the rules in §177.823 of this title.

One reason I never considered tanker even though I carried all endorsements is because I smoke. Why would you when you have so many other options??

This falls in the I just got a DUI and now want to be a trucker category. :)

Some things just don't mix. The tanker is sealed, but leaks do happen. You get stuck in traffic and fumes could make it to the cab. Odds are very slim, but it isn't out of the question.

11. pathfinder1361

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl

down here, the public is some of the worst offenders. ex. a gas tanker sitting stuck in traffic, and some idiot in a car has a lit cigarette in close proximity to the discharge valves.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.