Can I broker my dad freight?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Dinosoifua, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Dinosoifua

Dinosoifua Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2018
    My dad has a trucking company and his own authority. I am wonderinf if I can broker those loads for him? Do I need a freight broker license?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Sure you can, and yes you do. Unless you just act as his sales person and get contracts strictly for him. Then you would have less options/capacity to offer the shipper though.

4. Dinosoifua

Feb 17, 2018

5. Dinosoifua

Feb 17, 2018
    So if an O/O wants to run under my dad authority then I would have to be licensed to set them up?

6. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    Your Dad needs his own authority. Then yes he can hire owner ops to run under his authority. For you to have your own freight, you must have a broker authority to be able to hire him and/or his owner op to haul it.

7. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    I may not have read your first post correctly. I thought you wanted to go out and find freight, then have your Dad haul it. If you want to act as his dispatcher finding him loads, then you can do that if he has his own authority. For example you call broker, book load under his authority and insurance, and he or his owner op hauls it. Hope that makes sense.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. Dinosoifua

Feb 17, 2018
    Yup that makes sense. He has his own authority and he has people running under him. They dont lease on but he pays their insurance and take a flat 20% for them to use his authority. I think I'm explaining it right. I would ask him how he does it but he doesn't explain things good and I want to make sure everything it done right.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    They are leased on to him.

10. aston

aston Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I am in a similar situation, but we get the loads from load boards ourselves.
    Currently not working with a broker as there is no shortage of work, but do certain brokers have contracts with large dealerships or auctions that give consistent work. If so, that would be interesting to look into getting a broker for such.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.