Can I Get Enough Experience as a Company Driver than go O/O?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Beans, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Beans

Beans Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Temple, GA
    I may have an opportunity to be hired by my former trainer as his co-driver. He is in the process of getting a truck. For me, this is a win-win situation; I get to continue building my experience, and I get to learn the business. With that, I want to purchase my own pre-owned rig in 2011. By then I will have 1 1/2 year exp.

If something happens and I do not work with my former trainer, can I still learn by being a company driver? I currently work for a low pay company to build up my exp. I have financial goals to achieve (saving for a home and downpayent for my truck) and will need to be with a better company, so I can reach my goals. I do plan on joining OOIDA and women in trucking organizations in January. Before I buy my truck, I plan on taking OOIDA's business seminar.

Thanks,
    Beans

jtrnr1951 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Chilhowie, VA
    You should work to get 2 years experiance of verifiable OTR experience BEFORE you venture on your own. Your biggest hurtle with becoming an O/O will be insurance and most want to see 2 years up front. The best way to make certain it is verifiable is to have him report it to DAC. You can find insurance that will cover less than that but they have high rates as well as some will limit your operating area.

Beans Thanks this.
  4. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Many O/O 's have started out being company drivers. That's really the best way nowdays to get your experience. I also agree with Englewoodcowboy.

Beans Thanks this.
  5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Sounds good except the OOIDA part . They overcharge for all services provided . WIT should give you all the support you need .

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Sounds like youre buddies with your trainer and your trainer is looking into getting a rig and leasing on with Fedex. I dont think its a good idea because ANY money issues will wreck the friendship/working relationship.
    That being said, if you do decide to go ahead with this move, discuss the money thoroughly before you jump ship.

7. alex94

alex94 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2008
    good ol CG
    good luck! most people here started out as company drivers. you must learn the business before diving into o/o. some people can do it but is very hard if you dont know what you are doing. if you can get on with your ex-trainer thats great! if not, find a company and driver for them for AT LEAST 1 year. as engelwoodcowboy said, the more otr experience you have, the cheaper your insurance will be when you go o/o. good luck in future endeavors and please keep us updated on what you do!

8. alex94

alex94 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2008
    good ol CG
    good luck my man. many people have tried to dive into trucking by becoming an o/o right away and i think its wrong. you need to learn the business before becoming an o/o. you sound like you know what you are doing though. if you can get on with your ex-trainer, that would be great to get otr experience with him because he will know what he is talking about. if you cant, i highly suggest going to a company and staying there for AT LEAST 1 year. like engelwoodcowboy said, the more experience you have, the cheaper your insurance will be when you become an O/O. good luck out there. and PLEASE keep us posted!

9. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    I wouldn't worry about having the guy report to DAC! The insurance company can get in touch with your boss directly or you can write down the Insurance company he uses and the policy number.

You will be shown on it for years to come as they love to keep records!

Keep your name off of DAC/USIS/HireRight or what ever they are calling themselves this year! Once in there you'll never get out! AND they have been know to get the same names of different people screwed up!

But your bosses phone number, address and name of company is all that is needed just like when you apply for a job!

MCss Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.