Can I still become o/o? Preferably landstar? Help me out

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bono84, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Bono84

Bono84 Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Good afternoon drivers!

So I've been preparing myself to become an owner and operator past few yrs and I'm finally ready from the financial stand point, and the god must hate me for whatever reason, last week I got pulled in for level 2 inspection and got 80 csa points with major one being a flat tire on my trailer. (Wont make excuse) so that's basically everything I have on my current driving record, like I had no major accidents or any moving violations other than the ones I got last week. Now my question is, would companies like landstar still hire me under this circumstance? I have more than 3 yrs of experience including the winters, and as I said no major accidents no conviction etc. If you guys dont think landstar would hire me under this circumstance, what should my options be as far as becoming an owner and operator? And pleeeaaase dont say wait another few yrs until my CSA drops.. I really dont think I can wait another yrs as a company driver... any experienced o/o opinions are appreciated. Thanks drivers

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well don't take this wrong but when you are asking if landstar will hire you, it tells me you have been not paying attention to the industry and how it works, so no they won't ever hire you unless you apply for an office job in Jacksonville or rockford.

Now the reason for this is you don't understand how it works, landstar doesn't hire any owner, they will allow an owner to lease onto them.

That said you have the money for six months for bills for the slow times or when the truck is broke down?

How about $1200 or so to look at a truck?

How about knowing how the industry works and how to make money?

Justrucking2, bryan21384 and ZVar Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Oh sorry I didn't answer the question, most likely they will ignore the csa points.

5. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Call Landstar and ask them. The application process takes a few weeks to even get started, probably close to six weeks before you get to orientation. Plus, you have to already own a truck before they will finalize your lease agreement if they are interested in bringing you on board. It’s better to ask now and find out than to waste time and miss other opportunities.

6. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    From Landstar's website...

1. What are the minimum requirements to become a Landstar BCO?

For tractor-trailer, expedited, and hotshot owner-operators, the minimum requirements are:
    • 23+ years old
    • Class A CDL (Class A CDL or Class B CDL for Expedited)
    • Hazmat endorsement
    • One year verifiable OTR experience (6 months verifiable OTR experience for Expedited or Hotshot)
    • One season verifiable snow and ice experience
    • Verifiable driving history
    • No DOT-recordable/preventable accident in past 12 months
    • No serious violations in past 36 months, including reckless driving or careless endangerment
    • No DUI in past 60 months
    • Overall safe driving record
    • Felony and misdemeanor charges reviewed case-by-case
    • No positive drug or alcohol tests
    • Provide and maintain proper levels and types of approved insurance during your lease with Landstar including:
      • Unladen Liability and Occupational Accident coverage or, in some cases, statutory Workers’ Compensation coverage, are mandatory. If you do not participate in the Unladen Liability and/or CPP (Occupational Accident insurance) programs facilitated by Landstar, you must show comparable Unladen Liability coverage and/or Occupational Accident coverage through acceptable insurance carriers.
      • If statutory Workers’ Compensation coverage is required and you do not participate in the Fleet Workers’ Compensation Plan (FWCP) program, coverage must be provided by licensed carriers with acceptable interstate coverage.
    These are minimum operator qualification standards subject to DOT requirements, and Landstar may impose more stringent requirements at its option. The decision whether to qualify an operator will be made by Landstar in its sole discretion and on a case-by-case basis.

7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I suggest thinking like a business owner before you buy that truck. LS doesn't "hire" drivers. They LEASE equipment from their owners. LS isn't the only game in town and some would never even recommend them. So many other avenues to take when you own your own equipment. Think about that for a while.

8. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Geesh give it a break. So the guy said hire instead of lease on. Everyone knew what he meant, and his question is still valid. I've been O/O for over 20 years. But in conversation I still might say. I hired onto, or I work for (x)company. .So I guess I should go back to driving school?

9. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    You "give it a break"! You clearly haven't been on this forum long enough to see the staggering amount of the same questions being asked over and over and you clearly don't know how high the failure rate is for new businesses in this industry today. I gave honest advice, if you don't like it then don't read it. In fact, put me on ignore and move on with your life. If the man doesn't have the right mindset he's destined to fail. You're doing him a disservice by not helping to straighten him out. Coddling him and the subject like an overprotective mommy.

10. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    DSK & Ridgeline both need to knock it off. In case you haven’t noticed you are no better then the next guy. In fact you’re worse, worse because you have to get on an online forum to get your rocks off by jumping on a peer. It’s rather pathetic in all honesty.

Take your own advice DSK and don’t read these threads.

You are not helping anyone by speaking to them as a dog. You only make yourself look like a stereotypical truck driver. As unsociable as they come.

People like you are the problem with this industry!!!

It amazes me to see how so many parents could have failed their children so horribly. They let their children rush off into the real world with no sense of humbleness, no manners, no respect for their peers, no idea how to control their tempers/additudes/mouths. Smh.

Elderly parents of grown men should still be able to be locked up for being worthless. I mean seriously:banghead:

So how do you like being talked down to???

Typhoon, snowwy and scottied67 Thank this.
  11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    This could be interesting to watch......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.