Can I use the truck I have?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by restoreclassics, Nov 24, 2011.

1. restoreclassics

restoreclassics Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Omaha
    Hello guys. Hope you won't find this retarded but I need some direction. Just lost my regular job today. I have a truck but never used it. It is a 1976 C-60 GMC, 366 gas, 5 speed/2 speed, 26,000 lbs, 24 ft. flatbed. Exellent condition. Where would I look to find loads for this truck? Would I be insane to try to use it for a year or two to get going? Not alot of credit available to me right now. Have to run what I have out of pocket. Just looking at what I have available to me and what to do. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    You better hope to get local runs that pay very well. That truck will only get around 4.5-5 mpg. I have owned a few 366 and 427 Chevy trucks. Mine ran local heating fuel deleveries, which meant high idle with pto operation, and I was lucky to see 4 mpg.

I bought two Internationals with mechanical DT466 diesel engines, and went to 7.8-8 mpg. They paid for themselves very quickly, and needed much less maintenance.

4. TruckerKENNY

TruckerKENNY Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Ocala, Florida
    correct me if im wrong, but do you have a CDL? if not your already at your weight limit of 26,000 pounds.. you couldnt tow anything atleast here in FL you couldnt.

5. restoreclassics

Nov 24, 2011
    Omaha
    No CDL. This would require a CDL class B wouldn't it? This truck could be used to test in right?

6. restoreclassics

Nov 24, 2011
    Omaha
    New to this message board but I thought this wasn't a place to harrass? If it struck a nerve with you, as in someone close to you, my apologies. But I'm not into politically correct, sorry. Glad you have your opinion, they're good to have.

7. restoreclassics

Nov 24, 2011
    Omaha
    Thank you "KENNY" and "stranger".......... I appreciate your reply. I thought there would be a really narrow market in which to try to use this. No money to re-body the truck so it stays a flat bed. I hear the HotShot guys say not to use a gas fueled truck. I know mileage would really suck. Thanks again.

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    It would require a Class B , Class A if puling a trailer over 10,000 lbs. GVWR . It could be used in the test . Make sure it has a DOT inspection sticker and all required equipment (reflective triangles , fire extinguisher , etc.)

9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    some people wake up on the wrong side of the bed. and some are born that way. pay no attention to it. your options are going to be pretty limited with that truck. i would try to sell it and take the money and buy a truck that would better serve you. or have one heck of a vacation.

RickG and restoreclassics Thank this.
  10. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Back in the 60s and early 70s, lots of upholstered furniture companies used straight trucks with a 35' bed that extended over the cab to the front bumper. Lots of them were 366 and 427 Chevies and Internationals with 345 engines. They can, and have, done lots of over the road running. One thing that all had in common was a big extra fuel tank mounted to the frame.

They had a manual fuel valve in the floorboard. The main tank with the fuel gauge was always kept full as a reserve. When the saddle tank started running out you reached down and switched to the main tank. Then you started looking for a place to fuel. Just don't forget to switch back to the saddle tank after fueling.

I started out in one of these that was an International with a 345.

restoreclassics Thanks this.
  11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    You may be able to do some local lumber or building materials deliveries. You could haul hay, but I am not sure it would be worthwhile without a trailer to pull behind. You might check around to see if you can find a pup that you could pull, but you would need a class A license for that combination. You can get by with a class B with the truck you described. There could be some expedited freight you may be able to haul, but most of those are van type beds rather than flats. You may also check to see if you could deliver equipment for rental companies. You will be probably be limited to running your own authority due to the age of the truck.

restoreclassics Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.