Can l use a log book if my people's net is down. I haul hazmat loads.

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Kwadwo1994, May 22, 2019.

1. Kwadwo1994

Kwadwo1994 Bobtail Member

May 22, 2019
    Can l use a log book as my people's net in acting up. The people's net has no power into the port. I am hauling a hazmat

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
  4. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    you gotta recreate a recap somehow, but then you're allowed to do paper for up to 8 days, I believe it is until repairs are made...

5. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    8 days MAX unless you get a waiver from the FMCSA, which is like pulling Tiger teeth.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Can you...yes
    In fact you better have one in hour truck if you get an inspection!

7. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    You need to always have a copy of a malfunction reporting instruction sheet in your truck. If you don't have one the violation is worth 1 point.

You also need to keep at least 8 blank logbook pages at all times as well. Failure to comply with this too is worth 1 point.

If an ELD malfunctions, a driver must:
    1. Note the malfunction of the ELD and provide written notice of the malfunction to the motor carrier within 24 hours;
    2. Reconstruct the record of duty status (RODS) for the current 24-hour period and the previous 7 consecutive days, and record the records of duty status on graph-grid paper logs, or electronic logging software, that comply with 49 CFR 395.8, unless the driver already has the records or retrieves them from the ELD; and
    3. Continue to manually prepare RODS in accordance with 49 CFR 395.8 until the ELD is serviced and back in compliance. The recording of the driver’s hours of service on a paper log, or electronic logging software, cannot continue for more than 8 days after the malfunction; a driver that continues to record his or her hours of service on a paper log beyond 8 days risk being placed out of service.
    All of this applies to Hazmat loads as well.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I don't mean to be mean op but your carrier is supposed to instruct you in all of this, it shows many of us that there should be a lot more enforcement of the regs to protect the drivers by fining these carriers with heavy fines on simple things.

Vinny provided the regs and explained it pretty well but the company is at fault for you not knowing the answer.

9. CousinVinny

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    And I am 100% in agreement with you.

brian991219 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI

While all that is true, it applies to ELD's and not AOBR's. Last I heard Peoplenet is not ELD complaint, they are AOBR's. In that case all he would be on the hook for is not having the last 7 days of logs. That can be fixed by stopping at the next TS and getting them faxed from the company and buying a log book. While not required in AOBR operation, it's still a very, very good idea toi have spare blank logs.

Also, I know it's not what the op asked, but have you did the simple things like check the fuse going to people net. It's usually an obvious one in the fusebox, not part of the fuse block but tucked in the fusebox.

roshea and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. CousinVinny

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    PeopleNet eDriver Logs is their ELD device. Trimble (PeopleNet's parent company) acquired ISE Fleet Services last year and ISE's eFleetSuite ELD product is what PeopleNet now uses.

FMCSA approved devices are the PCG001, PMG001, PMG002, G3X002 and Trimble Duo.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.