Can somebody explain something to me???

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by Biscuit75, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    It is true,you cant get the cry baby to set in the seat long enough to EARN the wages !
    With the Government kicking back $$ to the schools
    and paying companies $$$ to hire green card immigrants,its a revolving door of redundancy.

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Duckf00t

Duckf00t Bobtail Member

May 12, 2009
    Rahway, NJ

Amen brother- the best driving opportunity out there is team driving. When we went looking for another job, we cast a wide net. Applied to many companies. Every single one called us, wanting to hire us on. We pretty much had our pick of any one of them. We hopped out of one truck and went right into the next one.

Just have to be willing to do what is available, a job is better than none. It works for us that we like what most don't. I dont think the industry is doomed, just changing as things always do. Either adapt or fall aside, choice is yours.

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    We don't hire students, and require a year minimum. We can't keep experienced drivers for 8 state regional. :biggrin_2554: Rumour is, we lost 26 over the past 2 months. And the work conditions here are great IMHO.

Agreeably, our pay scale is much lower than the mega-companies. But that appears to be changing daily.

We were advised upon hiring they will make every effort to have us home for the weekend. But the occasional snafu occurs, and we may have to stay out over the weekend. I haven't missed a weekend at home in the past 3 months...knock wood.

5. newtruckerwidow

newtruckerwidow Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I can tell you my hubby has only been driving for 4 months now. After being laid off in July of last year from the auto body industry he had to do something. He is a hard worker and just wants to provide for his family. Granted his heart is with cars that industry will be years before it rebounds and it is all he knows. He did a LOT of research before he picked a company to work for it may not have been a good choice for most people for him and us we had to do what had to be done to pay the bills. And even some weeks that is very hard with trucking. But none the less it is much better than unemployment. I have to agree though this job isn't for everyone! You have to be able to pretty much live by yourself and like it! For my hubby who is let's just say not really a social butterfly it is working out great thus far. Yes he misses me and his kids greatly but he knows in the end he is doing it for us. I think before people go into trucking they should really look at themselves and say. Can I be alone for days at a time? Can I live knowing I will only get to talk to my love ones on the phone? Can I eat out of a can for a week if the money isn't there? and one I love my hubby asked a friend thinking about this industry can I pee in a jug going 60 down a rocky two lane road and not hit the floor? lololololol

Take care on the road and remember the nation would fail as a whole without the hard work and dedication from truckers!:biggrin_25526:

otherhalftw, madinmichigan and luni Thank this.
  6. otherhalftw

otherhalftw Insignificant Otter

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Great attitude! I love to hear this from "new widows" it tells me there is support for the new guy out here on the highways.

It is much easier nowadays, what with cell phones, and internet. It wasn't that long ago, (I can still remember) when we would have a horrendous phone bill from collect calls from truck stop tables checking in with mama every other or third day. Out of touch, and hundreds, if not thousands, of miles from home.

Yep, truckers need support from families and freinds, it is not a life for everyone, but for those of us with asphalt and cement dust in our veins, we love it. Good luck to you and your family, stay in your mans corner, it means the world to him, and all of us knowing there is one more with us with a strong woman behind him!

luni Thanks this.
  7. malael

malael Bobtail Member

May 20, 2009
    Bronx, NY
    i keep hearing allot about no jobs for experienced drivers and i find it kinda strange out here in NY there are tons of listings for drivers with 1 year experience or more for driving dont know about most places but NJ and NY have ALLOT of job openings problem is getting that experience. thats the boat im in now finding a job that doesnt involve big OTR companies treating me like crap till that year is up. lol then with the experience doesnt mean ill get a job quick but it does mean itll be a bit easier

8. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    like the late great george carlin used to say "it's all lies and bullcrap," or something along those lines. everbody is out to screw everybody else, out of what little money they have left. late nite TV infomercials will tell you that you can be a lazy, unemployable, pennyless deadbeat with horrific credit, but if you just buy their $199 course (which later turns into a $5,000 course,) then you'll magically turn into a real estate investing millionaire. or pay $3,000 for trucking university and just 4 short weeks later, you'll have a sweet driving job making $50k a year (and all you do is sit and steer, right?)

if you look up the word "ethics" in the dictionary, you won't find it. you'll have to find an old edition merriam websters. the new morality is - if it makes money, it's good. this is what has gotten us into the financial mess we're currently enjoying. banks, credit card companies loaning money to people they had NO business loaning to, and when it went bad, there was NO consequence for them. they got resued by unc sam, at the expense of taxpayers who DIDN'T live beyond their means.

so now we're going to continuing trying to revive our economy by borrowing (or printing) more fake money. we need to wake up and realize that the only solution to our economic mess is to stop consuming and start producing again. and that's not going to happen. good luck, suckers...

telcobilly Thanks this.
  9. dr5169

dr5169 Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    Something is better than nothing....do you think I really wanted to drive otr?? No but I got laid off from a good union job of 13 years ..so what am I supposed to do...I have been driving for as long as i can remember .So the idea is for me to get some experience and then try to get something better. They are few jobs out here but alot of laid off people... The other thing you said was why would cdl schools continue to churn out people...well its a business and they are getting paid . What happens after that they couldnt care less.

otherhalftw, JennCTW and notarps4me Thank this.
  10. luni

luni Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2009
    florida
    (no jobs for experienced drivers )
    Is the real question maybe, no good paying jobs for experience drivers?

I assume their are plenty of jobs for experience drivers, just not good ones.
    Depends what is the real question.

11. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    it depends on the company. but there are PLENTY of companies that don't want experienced drivers, because companies can't fudge with someone who has been around the block a few times. and most experienced drivers are simply not going to be interested in driving for 20 something cents a mile if they're used to 40 something.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.