Can someone please help me with my trailer air brake problem???

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Supertrucker47, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Supertrucker47

Supertrucker47 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2018
    Okay so I bought my first trailer for an excavating business which is an 86 eager beaver 20 ton tag along. When I picked it up I didn't air it up then when I got back to my shop I applied air and the brakes would not release. So I put a new relay valve in the trailer and now the parking brakes works fine but when I hit the services brakes the brakes lock but won't release. There's is air pressure on the blue gladhand I have to take it off to release the brakes. I'm wondering if it's on my truck the problem when I push in the red trailer knob and step on the brake pedal a constant air supply comes out. So does anyone know what would cause this? I need my trailer next week to move my machines I'm going broke here. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MFilli

MFilli Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2018
    Anchorage AK
    Does your truck work normal with other trailers? Does your trailer have separate parking and service brake valves?

4. Supertrucker47

Sep 18, 2018
    I'm not sure because the truck is new to me too but I do have separate tractor and trailer valves.

5. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    You might have a quick release valve that's gone bad.

6. Supertrucker47

Sep 18, 2018
    Well I should say that when I first got it a couple months ago I had to put a new cab on because the cab was shot. I'm wondering if I hooked a hose up wrong. So I guess my first question is with the red knob for the trailer pressed in and my foot on the brake pedal should the air be continuous from the blue gladhand or only supply a set amount of air?

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    If service brake or Johnny bar is applied you should have continuous air flow from the blue and stop when let up. If a gauge is installed the pressure will go up the harder the pedal is pushed to match tank pressure @ max travel.

Release the brakes red In. With the blue gladhand off at the trailer. Any air coming out the trailer blue gladhand?

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  8. bjrc

bjrc Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2018
    The red hose charges the trailer air tanks and releases the spring brakes (has constant pressure when dash trailer button depressed) the blue hose has air pressure when brake pedal depressed or trailer brake lever is pulled only and should vent when released, you can check brake application gauge on dash to see whats happening there. The blue hose should be on the pass side of trailer and red on drivers side. Hope this helps

9. Supertrucker47

Sep 18, 2018

10. bjrc

bjrc Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2018
    When brake pedal is applied, blue hose should pressurize when brake pedal is released blue hose should vent (through the truck valve) then relay valve on trailer should vent brake chambers.

11. Supertrucker47

Sep 18, 2018
    M sounds like the valve on my truck may be bad then. I appreciate everyone's h
    hmm sounds like my valve on the truck might be bad because I can hear it vent through the chambers on the trailer but nothing from the truck. Hopefully that's my problem. I appreciate everyone's help there's no one else to help me

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.