Can to tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Mototom, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    So I pull a dry van and I’m happy where I’m at but plan on moving here soon to an area that has a ton of tanker opportunities for home daily.
    If I wanted to start pulling tanker how long would I be stuck “training” I’m really not interested in driving with someone for three weeks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I went with Tankstar one time and the training was just long enough to learn the loading and unloading.
    The training period was doing local work and the length depends on how fast a person can learn.

austinmike Thanks this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    When I started tank at Quality Carriers, I had a 4 day orientation. First 2 days were the usual crap, videos etc. Last couple days were all tanker training. lLst day we aired and pumped off a practice trailer. Then went out for a few days on local loads with another driver. I was on my own after the 4th day.

5. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    It will be more on the training side of unloading & loading the tanker. It will also be more on the safety side of handling chemicals hazmat especially. You already have experience driving. They will stress more that the load tank is a "live load" always lurking to get out. You must never let that happen. You never want to forget that tankers need more patience & caution. All the best on your journey

6. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Our new hires are trained for approximately 6 weeks. That is after a week in the office for paperwork training.
    They require 3 yrs experience so figure you can drive already.
    Mostly just safety protocols, operational procedures and the technology of cryo, different style of tanks and unloads.
    Riding w another guy then driving w him while training.

HiramKingWilliams Thanks this.
  7. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    About 4 weeks here. It takes time to learn all of the racks and to get carded.

Dennixx Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.