Can Truckers legally deliver Marijuana in states where it's legal

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by LimpyLegs, Nov 9, 2018.

1. LimpyLegs

LimpyLegs Medium Load Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Midland,VA
    So I had happened to come across an article titled "No tokes for truckers: Marijuana and truck drivers". It was written by all truck jobs.com, and on the third paragraph down I noticed a line saying

"Even though trucks are hauling marijuana in states where it’s legal, those trucks can only transport the drug within the state."

So of course this naturally begs the question....

Which of these carriers is hauling a mess ton of ganja, and what state are they out of?

I'm asking for anybody who knows anything more about these jobs. Seems like something I might be interested in unless it's considered taboo by all the DOT officers. It seems to me like hauling this kind of cargo might be something that will just lead to extra unnecessary driver harassment from the cops.

Anybody know any particular details like how much the loads are paying, what are the drivers making? Where they deliver out of and which carriers they use?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yes it is a commodity just like anything else. But I would expect it to be cheap freight.

stwik and LimpyLegs Thank this.
  4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    With it still classified illeagle with the federal regulators I would not want to be caught up in the mess that will some day be coming. Also being a "drug" you still have the problem of security, would suck to have stayed clean to be shot by wacko.

5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    You haul alcohol, pot as well. Its just freight. Packaging is discretely labelled unlike alcohol, don't expect to see a big fan leaf on the box:D
    In Canada our postal service makes the pickup from facility and then distributed to common carriers for furtherance.
    A skid of pot might weigh 300 lbs,,,its mostly packaging. I know some facilities their BOL does not identify the shipper by their commonly known name.

6. towmantater

towmantater Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2018
    I got two questions for OP. 1) How do you think it's already getting to the places where it's being sold? 2) Would you be having this same conversation if it were tobacco? Just a plant that the fairies ain't gonna teleport from one place to the other.

06driver, steve092, Lepton1 and 4 others Thank this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    They aren't hauling truck loads of pot around. It's grown locally, processed locally and distributed locally. At least in this neck of the Weeds. Lol

8. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    It's legal to grow in Washington DC even for non-medicinal recreational purposes so obviously it can move via surface transport.

9. jt road hammer

jt road hammer Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2018
    i should look in to hauling this

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I recall one facility in Jersey used to take in container loads. The security was beyond acceptable to me in those days there. It aint pot that went there. But something else. I just don't remember enough about it.

I don't see a market for truckload of pot as freight. Even if you did have a run you will need to have security with you, it.

I hauled narcotics among other things at high dollar value for McKesson out of Memphis often and that's pretty.. outrageous if you let it unravel. I heard they hit one of those trucks in TN once already not too long ago.

11. jt road hammer

jt road hammer Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.