Can you be a cigarette smoker and drive for Walmart? Thank you.

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by Getsinyourblood, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    Ok Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    From one end to the other this driver had sunflower seed shells on the floor,dash,side pouches,even in the company binder.He had a full jar of shells without the lid on There was also a couple opened bag of seeds that was scattered along with the jar of shells.Garbage all over the place.I had to make a path just to get in the trk.Dirty tools and gloves in the trk,which is suppose to go in the sidebox because its an asphalt company.Ths trk had asphalt all over the seats interior you name it.So ya my boss was not a happy camper.

4. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    Ugh... What is wrong with people? Hopefully, your boss knows who the culprit was.

5. morlandoemtp

morlandoemtp Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2014
    New York
    Ya I hate when people are pigs. Also there is a spray you can buy after you smoke spray it in your truck and no one knows you were smoking.

6. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    How do people live like that? Dirty filthy people, I can't stand them. Most are the ones that equate looking like they just woke up in a dumpster with being comfortable. Dirty sweat pants, a filthy T-shirt, and flip flops....it's comfortable man! What a bunch of idiots.

Smokers, well I smoke and non smokers don't even know when they get into my truck. I always open a window and only from the drivers seat. Seen many drivers smoking with the windows up and that is where the disgusting odor comes from. I am all about non smoker rights. It's a filthy habit. I smoke in my vehicles and on my porch at home or in the garage and never smoke indoors even when the business allows it.

7. TomOfTx

TomOfTx Road Train Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Friendswood, TX
    Yes, you can smoke if the truck you are driving is your permanently assigned tractor. If driving a different truck and it has No Smoking posted on the truck (on the door and/or inside the cab), then no, you cannot smoke in that truck, because the permanently assigned driver does not want anyone smoking in their truck. I switched to e-cigs last year, and as a result, I ended up hardly smoking at all now.

8. Getsinyourblood

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    Thanks TomOfTx. I am reading in the forums that sometimes 2 drivers share a truck. Sometimes drivers share 2 trucks depending on the schedule. I will paste the work schedule from a different thread:

5/2- Work 5 days, off the same 2 days every week.

6/2- Work 6 days and you 2 days rotate every week.

6/3- Work 6 off 3, which 3 driver share 2 trucks

7/7- Work 7 days off 7, 2 drivers share 1 truck

3/2- Work 3 off 2, then work 5 then off 3, not sure if that is right, but pretty close. 3 drivers share 2 trucks

So my question is what if you are sharing two trucks with 3 different drivers? And let's assume none of the other guys smoke.

Now I know smoking is a nasty habit and I understand people don't like it. In 2014, I quit for 19 weeks. I had a breakdown in Memphis, and picked the cigarettes back up. I know I need to quit, but that's not the issue. I don't want to vape right now either.

So if a person was lucky enough to get hired, and starts sharing trucks with non smokers, what is going to happen?

I am thinking if you are a smoker, it will greatly reduce the odds of you getting hired. I am thinking that HR probably knows what a squabble it creates if a non smoking driver has to share a truck with a smoker. Maybe the guys who have been there 10 or 15 years, and have an assigned truck can smoke, but a new applicant, it will be tough to get hired.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. 710er

710er Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2014
    When u bid a schedule the trucks will be designated non smoking or smoking if u accept a non smoking bid u cannot smoke in the truck.If u slip trucks they will try to honor your preference

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  10. TomOfTx

TomOfTx Road Train Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Friendswood, TX
    If the truck is designated as a Non Smoking truck, then no, you cannot smoke in the truck.

Get used to not smoking in the truck if you are driving a Non Smoking truck. I had to do it. It really was not a problem as I had to stop frequently to drop trailers at the stores and DC's anyway, so I would smoke outside the truck. Over time I just did not crave smoking as much as enjoying the job. :)

I do not believe so. They never asked me if I smoked. It was never a factor in the hiring process. During orientation is when the subject of smoking even came up and that was to point out you could only smoke in designated areas at the DC, as well as discussed not smoking in trucks designated as Non Smoking. The cost of medical insurance is about 10-15% higher for a smoker, so that is one downside, but that is not a Walmart issue. Many companies assess higher premiums for medical insurance if you smoke. Walmart has quit smoking programs that are completely free to you as a driver, which could be helpful.

Go ahead and apply. Maybe working in the environment here will make you crave smoking less like it did for me. :)

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  11. Getsinyourblood

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    Thanks Tom and 710er. I appreciate the straight answers.

TomOfTx Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.