Can you be an independent o/o doing intermodal work?

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by rahtek, Jan 17, 2016.

1. rahtek

rahtek Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Id like to preface my question with letting you guys know my experience in intermodal is limited.

It seems the only way to get freight in the local Chicago intermodal market is through a carrier. In dry van , my understanding is, you have the spot market( load boards), direct shippers, and being lease to a carrier. How do you find work as an independent o/o doing local container work? Is there a specific load board and brokers for this type of freight? Being lease onto a carrier isn't really an option for me. I'm currently a company driver for a small company doing regional intermodal work. I'm trying to convince my boss to get into doing intermodal work which is why I'm coming to you guys for information.

I'm not really looking for information on all the small beurocratic stuff like scat codes and the like. I'm looking to find out if it's possible to find intermodal freight without having direct customers.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    How do you find work as an independent o/o doing local container work? must register with the hub, Schneider, clipper, hub, usa trucks, prime, csx and jb hunt and some other ones but the main ones are those you are register with them they will give you access to their load boards.
    Is there a specific load board and brokers for this type of freight? no, every company has their own board or point of contact and the emhu boxes you can go to a regular board and pick a freight as long as the shipper agrees to get their load shipped by rail you can request the empty box not sure how much they charge for those boxes.

Apayne and rahtek Thank this.
  4. rahtek

rahtek Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2013
    What about all the other containers like Hapag Loyd, Cosco, and K-line?

Im wanting to stay away from the pre mounted domestic freight the megas are offering. The rates they are paying would not be worth the time.

I know my ignorance is showing but bare with me. Thanks for the response either way

5. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    they have set rates and you need to request the rate sheet but you usually need your own chassis a good chassi will cost about 20 to 30 dollars a day just to lease it.

6. rahtek

rahtek Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2013
    I wasn't aware that Hapag Loyd handled the freight. I though it was just a brand of container. Is this how intermodal works?

Lets say I'm a small company that wants to #### 10 pallets of my product to the UK. I contact Hapag they give me a rate and then work with the closes rail to get my container to the ports. At the same time Hapag hires a carrier to get that container from the shipper to the rail and then from the port in the UK to the customer. Is that about right? If this is the case do I just get rate sheet from all the intermodal companies like Hapag and pick the ones that would make me money?

7. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    yes, you just get the rate sheet for your area.. for example the rate sheet of north jersey will vary from the Chicago rate sheet, you see what load they have available and pick one

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  8. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    The names on the side of containers are shipping companies, technically they are your client......contact them......Hapag, COSCO, HanJin, Yang Ming, Zim, CMA CGM and so forth .....also brokers will handle Intermodal freight....Suntek, Coyote....

9. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    It would depend on the intermodal company. The company I work for, our O/O's are independents, they use the company as the broker, they get 90% to 95% of the amount charged. They only use us for purposes of SCAC coding at the ramp or depot. Most intermodal companies want O/O's to be lease operators, so you would have to find a company that would work with you.

10. rasymacmac21

rasymacmac21 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2009
    East of the Mississippi.
    Go to this link, ftp://rrcs-50-75-208-64.nyc.biz.rr.com, and go to the bottom of the page and click on truck invoices, to get an idea of what trucking companies charge for certain moves, but they're going to differ from Chicago rates probably. They mostly deal with freight brokers or freight forwarders.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  11. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    I saw one of the invoices from Jacksonville to Orlando. ftp://rrcs-50-75-208-64.nyc.biz.rr.com/TRUCKER%20INV%20SM300769.pdf . It says 405.00 for the rate, 133,65 for fuel surcharge and 40.00 for chassis fee. Total 578.65. Is that 578.65 what the owner operator is gonna receive for the trip or the company deduct anything else from the pay?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.