Can you convert a new trailer with duals to super singles?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by JLT, Jun 12, 2018.

1. JLT

JLT Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2012
    I’m wanting to buy a new reefer with super singles, but when you try to find one from the factory with them on there for sale it’s not out there, and every dealer says if they just order on trailer with one spec, (I want the heavy duty plastic, or bultex, or Versitex I think it’s called at the bottom rub rails and two rows of extracting) they say it would cost a fortune. Can I change the tires and wheels on some that I have found with duals to singles and not hurt the spindles with the off set wheels or can you get a spacer or something to help it or what? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Txdriver77

Txdriver77 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Texas
    and when you have a blowout, you aint going anywhere.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  4. benjamin260_6

benjamin260_6 Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    ...just like with any other tire. Over $1000 in fines if you get caught "limping" on a flat plus you still have to pay for the service call not to mention the piece that flies off and hits somebody.

You can just put wide singles on. Nothing special required. They do make the rims with zero and 2" offset. I'm at the limit for weight about 50% of the time with 2" offset and I've never had any inside wear issues. If you're worried though, just get the zeros.

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    No the difference is at 70 mile an hour and you have a blowout with duals you can get stopped on the shoulder without wrecking a wheel, a supersingle goes it's immediately on the wheel and it's going to be wrecked in a hurry.

6. benjamin260_6

benjamin260_6 Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    That's all BS. When you blow a steer tire, is the rim instantly ruined? Not very often. The tire deflates and you drive on the flat to get to the shoulder. It's the same thing with wide singles. If you're blowing virgin tires that often that it's even an issue, you need to start doing proper maintenance

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I still wouldn't run them I don't see it making that much of a difference in price to matter and I doubt you get much better mileage running them either.

8. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Read it Wrong

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    With todays fuel cost there is almost no savings, which is why we se many big fleets back to ordering duals on new equipment the lat few years. Now if fuel gets back to 5 bucks a gallon and stays there, we all need to be at least putting pencil to paper and figuring out exactly if its cost effective.

10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You need to be finding better salesman. The cost difference when specing new equipment is almost nothing.

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.