Can you drive a truck with ADHD?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Tami Stone, May 20, 2010.

1. Landstar2206

Landstar2206 Light Load Member

May 29, 2010
    San Antonio,TX
    No trucking company or any company even mccdonalds can discriminate against you for having a mental disability or if you were on disability for a mental illness.As long as you dont take medicine that will cause drowsiness so you dont kill yourself or wipe out a school bus full of kids.Just dont tell nobody about your problems or medication you take cause they will never know and they cant look at your medical records....Think of it like the military thinks of gays inside the military....
    DONT ASK DONT TELL!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UFO

UFO Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2006
    lebanon in
    yeah. don't ask, don't tell. should your brother have an accident and somebody is injured and they sue, their lawyer will do all the asking and telling. it's always good policy to lie by omission or if it get discovered and your brother is fired, i'm sure the good folks at dac services will "omit" anything offensive so other employers will fight with each other to hire the guy so he will have a bright future.

lots of people are adhd and do fine. more info is available these days so employers are more informed and less likely to discriminate.

4. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Some things you can probably get away with not mentioning - blood pressure drugs and the like, for instance...

narcotics - for any reason - no. They WILL show up in a blood test. The question is, do your 'scripts adversely affect your ability to safely drive a truck?
    It's not all cut and dried, either. I have a friend (not a truck driver) who's maybe 135 pounds in a downpour. I'm 300. Yet, if I were to take even HALF of one of his doses of narcotics, I'd be dead before the ambulance arrived. He, on the other hand, functions just fine - even to being a safe driver.

(the previous was by was of demonstrating that we're all affected differently by various drugs)

If your doctor says "this medication is necessary, and will not affect the patient's ability to safely operate a large land-based vehicle", it does open the door for any given company to hire. If they choose to.

As for ADHD, it's never been a probooohhh nice car!

5. Landstar2206

May 29, 2010
    San Antonio,TX
    dont listen to these people...Dont go be honest abe with the trucking company your applying to....Dont tell them anything about any of the prescription drugs you are taking unless you are just plain stupid and dont have any common sense.Nobody can get your medical records unless they ask you to release them and of course you tell them "NO"...

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    You have alot to learn and should not be giving advice.

Read your medical long form sometime. This is what is written on it.

I certify that the above information is complete and true. I understand that inaccurate, false or missing information may invalidate the examination and my
    Medical Examiner's Certificate.
    Driver's Signature __________________________ Date __________________________

Medical Examiner's Comments on Health History
    (The medical examiner must review and discuss with the driver any "yes" answers and potential hazards of
    medications, including over-the-counter medications, while driving. This discussion must be documented below. )

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Get in a wreck and watch how quick they draw blood. And Narcotics such as Hydrocodone stays in your system 72 hours. So if you are on a script it will show up.

I had a tooth pulled and the dentist gave me some Hydrocodone. He said it was okay to drive, so I did with no problems, wooohooooo :). I told my dispatcher and he about had a #### fit. He shut me down for 3 days.

Doctors might say okay, but insurance regulations forbid it.

You can hide it. You get caught it's your ###. It's better to play their game.

8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    They can starve you out as you sit for days at a time! :biggrin_2559:

9. Landstar2206

May 29, 2010
    San Antonio,TX
    Every medical examination i took for a DOT Physical to get a medical card...I passed and im koo koo...I dont have to tell nobody about my medical records

10. Landstar2206

May 29, 2010
    San Antonio,TX
    Those are controlled substances.I dont take controlled substances.I take Blood Pressure medicine,chlorest,Thyroid..and some other ones that are not controlled substances like pain killers or methadone etc not even adderal that has ampetamine salt in it..I take a few others that wont show up on a drug test because they dont check for them...The medicines im talking about are for being koo koo

11. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    What was the question?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.