Can you explore a new city everyday as a newbie trucker?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trucu, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Trucu

Trucu Light Load Member

May 11, 2012
    Is the truck stop not close enough to the city so that you would have to drive to the city or bike there to explore it? But then you can't fit a car in your truck and can fit a bike but can't ride on it with all those cars going so fast?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
  4. Tai

Tai Medium Load Member

WTF is being asked in this thread. This seems like one of the conversations I don't want people to know I have with myself in my head.

5. Apd

Apd Haystack

Jun 22, 2009
    Hate to break it to ya but it sounds like you would be better off behind the wheel of a rv if sight seeing is what you want to do.

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The key to survival when bicycling in heavy traffic is to not make eye contact.

JohnBoy, HauntedSchizo19 and Berkez Thank this.
  7. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    The key to survive OTR trucking is no eye contact as well.....

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  8. DeathByBanjo

DeathByBanjo Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Tyler, TX
    Lol @ the trolling.

I think what the OP is trying to articulate is if he/she is driving, will there be opportunities to explore cities and such during down time. (Hopefully NOT by driving your truck around.)

Yes, you can, and you can figure out a way to mount a bike between the cab and the catwalk. Some truckstops are near interesting stuff, other truck stops, not so much.

Powder Joints Thanks this.
  9. Tai

Tai Medium Load Member

I'm not so sure we were the one trolling. This person has been asking how much money can they make since 2012 if you look back though their past posts. That and how few hours they can work.... Not sure hey are very committed to the idea of being a trucker.

10. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    The question is will you have enough energy to explore after driving 500 miles and having 10 hours off a night. Realistically that will be a rare thing. Eat sleep and drive will be your life.

paul_4lp and okiedokie Thank this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    See, this is a common misconception of people new to the industry. They think it's a non-stop paid vacation where they can do what they please, go where they want. It's generally frowned upon to use the truck for personal reasons, if not downright forbidden, truckstops generally are out in the middle of nowhere, places of "interest" are usually non-truck compliant, and while one can get a bike in the sleeper or behind the cab, bicycle accidents are on the rise due to distracted drivers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.