Can you make $60k/yr as a Prime Company Driver?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by jhurle9403, Dec 4, 2016.

1. jhurle9403

jhurle9403 Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Centre, AL
    I plan on starting at Prime in July. $60k a year is what I want to make (of course I don't expect to make that the first year). According to my math it is reasonably possible if they have the miles. I could be wrong though...

35 days out, 3 days home
    this makes 48 weeks a year driving
    49cpm (46cpm lightweight refer rate plus 3cpm fuel bonus)

This means I'd need about 2550 miles per week to hit $60k. Averaging 50 mph this equates to only about 51 hours a week of driving time, leaving plenty of hours on the clock for pre/post-trip, fueling, etc. Obviously there are breakdowns and slow seasons and whatnot. Do any Prime drivers out there consider $60k/yr a reasonable and obtainable goal? If not, what should I expect?

I'm very excited to get out of an office and start in this career. Thanks in advance for your input!

SHOJim Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. milehunter43

milehunter43 Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ohio
    Is that Prime's standard hometime policy? If so, that's terrible.

I have never driven for Prime, but I have driven one of the Freightliner lightweight/tiny sleeper trucks- trust me, you'll want to reconsider living in one for 35 days straight. There is some storage above the bed, and underneath the bunk, but that's it. I was out 3-4 nights per week; couldn't imagine sustaining 34 nights straight in one.

4. jhurle9403

Aug 31, 2016
    Centre, AL
    I believe their policy is 1 day home for every 7 days out and they want you to stay out 3 or 4 weeks minimum.

After 4 years of college in a 10x12 room with 3 others guys I have no problem with small space. I'd rather make 5cpm extra and if I get cramped, go take a walk when I'm done driving for the day. I've watch videos and read forum posts about the lightweight trucks, most, but not all, seem to be OK with it to get the extra pay.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  5. milehunter43

milehunter43 Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ohio
    They are nice for when you have a tight backing situation, and can use every inch of space to pull up. Almost as good as a daycab.

Being out so long I'd want a refrigerator, perhaps Prime allows its drivers to remove the passenger seat to make room for one?

Hopefully you're able to meet your income goals with them. Good luck.

jhurle9403 Thanks this.
  6. jhurle9403

Aug 31, 2016
    Centre, AL
    I've read that in the past Prime would give you the option to remove the passenger seat, not sure if they still do. I'm hoping I can clear $60k too. Tired of making $35k with my degree sitting in an office, even though it is more than enough to pay my bills.

DRAGON64 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can make over $60K pulling tankers.
    Prime has a tanker division that's food grade. Put your location on your profile.

8. jhurle9403

Aug 31, 2016
    Centre, AL
    I checked with the recruiter, Cullman AL is outside tanker hiring area.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check with CTL Transportation. Sometimes they pay for cdl school and they're tankers.
    Evergreen Transport pays for cdl school and pull dry bulk tankers.

jhurle9403 Thanks this.
  10. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
    Yes you can
    Avg Company Fleet miles is around 2250/week
    You can make way more than 60k being in a team or becoming a trainer in due time

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    FullMetalJacket and jhurle9403 Thank this.
  11. jhurle9403

Aug 31, 2016
    Centre, AL
    Thanks for the info Albert I.

Chinatown: you have lived up to your excellent reputation once again. I've been researching trucking for several hours a week for the better part of a year and I haven't managed to come across CTI or Evergreen. I'll certainly look into both(especially CTI, looks like they will train me). My long term plan, after getting LOTS of experience, is to purchase my own rig and drive for Bruce Oakley pneumatic division. CTI or Evergreen would be great experience for that. That's a long way down the road of course. Thank you greatly!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.