Canadian dollar is killing me

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by terryg247, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    An American built truck in Canada costs you $185,000.00 CDN

I the USA the same truck costs $129,500.00 Buy it in the USA or Canada, you'll be paying the same amount of dollars converted or not.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ishcp

ishcp Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2015
    yes. that is it. believe it or not. I just bought a truck and a trailer a few month ago. so I know the price. because that is how much I spent.

I don't know it is illegal or not. but it is happening.

that is why Canadian dollars are killing Canadian truckers. that is why transportation business is the worst in 2015. 17% down. oil business is down 9%.

4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Having to pay an increased amount is not illegal; our Canadian Dollar (CAD) floats in value relative to the U.S. Dollar (USD) based on a number of economic conditions. You cannot be forced to make purchases in USD in Canada, however it may be to your advantage to do so if you have access to U.S. funds either because you are being paid in USD, or have some saved. You could negotiate some savings due to not having to make the conversion and saving the vendor from doing the same. I just did this on a ~$500,000 USD equipment purchase I was making from a U.S. manufacturers Canadian representative.

5. ishcp

ishcp Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2015
    wow. good to hear. and good to know. very interesting.

action trailer didn't force me to pay usd. they gave me 2 options.

1. pay 69500 usd.
    2. pay cad = to 69500 × the bank rate that day.

I don't feel I am offended or I am mistreated. they are just trying to servive. I understand that. if they took Canadian dollars that day, by the rate today they lost 12% on a trailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.