Canadian Truck Driver Postions, moving from Autstralia

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Scoobydong, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Scoobydong

Scoobydong Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Cheers for reply mate
    Yeah not sure what to expect
    Trying to work out angle to best direction to go.
    We just deliver to Supermarkets here in Australia Driver does not touch load not sure as I say what the system over there is like.
    Trying to find the best Company’s and industry to work in

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Feel free to msg me anytime, i'm in Calgary and did lots of long haul grocery before going LTL. A couple of my trainers from the mega carrier, are now doing Local/Regional/OTR Grocery and we talk regularly.

Straight Away, DO NOT get involved with Sysco or Gordon Food Services in Calgary (or Alberta in General). 18 hour days with 8 hours off in between, 1400-2000 cases of food up and down ramps by hand a shift, the definition of slavery.

I would strongly consider XTL Transport (Costco's Fleet), Walmart Fleet, Safeway/Sobeys Fleet, Associated Grocers, Federated Coop Fleet.

I would avoid, Syndicate Transport (LobLaws Contractor), Rig Logistics (LobLaws/SaveOn Contractor), LobLaws Fleet, Bison Transport, TransX, H&R Transport.

not4hire Thanks this.
  4. Scoobydong

Sep 22, 2018
    Cheers for reply mate
    Will def look at that XTL out of Calgary
    Thanks for the offer I will get back in touch when I am closer to making the move.
    Have to get used to doing it on the wrong side of the road lol
    davemelrose@hotmail.com

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    When I was doing reefer as a leased O/O, Associated and CO-OP were good to deal with and Loblaws was a pain in the ###.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I can tell you from experience (going the other way) you catch on pretty quick.

And if you don't, people will let you know. :D

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  7. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yea, Loblaws, pretty much made me quit reefer and grocery lol.

8. Johnny R

Johnny R Light Load Member

May 25, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    McDonalds out of Calgary? You will touch the loads.

9. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Martin Brower here is ####! Absolute ####. Which is quite sad, as when I was in driving school, all everyone could talk about was getting on with "Big M, for the Big Bucks!". Buy sadly, like most things in Alberta since 2014, absolute ####! (but great other places, the Alberta Dis-advantage).

10. Scoobydong

Sep 22, 2018
    Hey mate
    What is Versacold out of Calgary like ?

11. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    I actually looked into them earlier this year, thread here
    Anyone here work for Versa Cold? (Calgary)

One of the main recruiters, Paul Mann, is ex-Bison also, and we know lots of the same people. He was very straight up with me, and it seemed like an OK job. Mind you, this was before the pay package wars that are going on; so their pay will prob be higher now than what I quoted. They do use PC miller practical miles tho, which is what i'm on with my LTL company. You get paid doorstep to doorstep almost, not city to city with lots of free miles like most bigger places.

If I didn't go LTL, I might have given them a try. Good equipment, no slip seating, very busy, lots of different runs, dedicated runs, city and LCV. Since they are their own customers, I would imagine lots of gravy pin to pin runs (Versacold to Versacold), with good miles. LOTS of California out of Calgary, Meat down, Produce Back.

My only concern with them, is that they are HUGE, like global HUGE. Expect safety and fuel management to be overboard. Mind you I've never worked for a global company, only the bigger Canadian ones; and they sucked.

In summary, if my job came to an end tomorrow, I would prob take my truck over to them, and give it a shot; esp with their new pay package.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.