Canadian trucker possibly moving to Germany

Discussion in 'European/Other Countries Truckers Forum' started by Krazer12, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Krazer12

Krazer12 Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Hello all, I am looking for information on transferring my license to Germany in the future, and other information that is to be had.

Some details for you guys, my girlfriend is a German citizen and she wants to take me there for a year to live. I know pay is less for drivers there than it is here, but she will have a high-paying job from some family to compensate, and housing we won't pay for. Basically I want to truck because I thoroughly enjoy trucking. I got my ACZ license back in August 2021 and we likely won't be going until after my year of having it.

Basically, I'd like to know how well an Ontario AZ license transfers over to a German CE license. I heard that Canada and Germany have a mutual license agreement, but I'm not sure how well that extends to commercial licenses. Would I be allowed to drive in Germany with my Ontario license even if the license agreement applies? Also, if I do have to turn it into a CE license, does that invalidate my Ontario license?

Thank you for all your (future) answers to my many questions!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    German licencing standards are so high I wouldn’t be surprised if you had to take a course. They don’t hand out licences to whoever walks up looking for one, even for passenger vehicles. That’s going to require some research. A call or an e-mail to a German carrier might give you the answers you need.

4. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    Canadian and European licenses for CDL can not be exchanged.
    The only exchanges for CDL are Florida and Texas (if you are hired by a Texas carrier).
    In Europe you need to pay 10k € for a course.
    You need to be double vaxed an boosted.
    Otherwise you won't get anywhere and you won't be insured.
    Pay is lower, competition is atrocious.
    Roads are narrower with no shoulders.
    Your driving days are restricted. No week ends.
    80-100 kms/h max. Limited rest areas and truck parking.
    Should I keep going?

5. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    No. Stop right there. Next thing you know Germany will invade Poland again.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.