cant find truck stops - qualcomm advice or purchase a solution

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by ejames82, Feb 5, 2017.

1. ejames82

ejames82 Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2017
    hello,

to be fair, I am also posting this inquiry on other good forums.

recently I started a job with a popular trucking company after attending an independent trucking school and orientation/mentoring with the company.

part of the job requires use of a qualcomm which includes a navigation function and I am having problems with this navigation function.

the company sends me wifi data of the next trip:
    1. the place where I get my load
    2. usually a place to get fuel
    3. the place where I drop my load

unfortunately, the data does not include truck or rest stop locations.

during my mentoring, my mentor was able to use the qualcomm navigator to find truck stops by using a path similar to this (this is a touch-screen and he 'clicks' on the following icons):

points of interest > trucking > truck or rest stops > close, along the way, or near destination

I should have paid closer attention, because I have never been able to attain this ability. when I am using the navigation to go to pick up a load, the 'points of interest' icon is greyed out and unusable. I have to literally turn the truck off (the engine) in order to find truck stops (then the 'points of interest' icon is not greyed out), and occasionally the truck stops it offers me are almost 300 miles away. I am NOT receiving quality service from this device in regards to truck stops.

when I first received the truck the battery was completely dead and I think the qualcomm may have been damaged. the company thinks I probably just don't know how to use it. I have no problem with them showing me what I am doing wrong, just as long as I can find a place for the truck when my hours are ending. but for now, I am here asking for experience, expertise, advice, and suggestions.

1. I need to know what I could be doing wrong with the qualcomm navigation, or

2. what kind of device could I buy that would find truck stops. how do you guys find them (besides already knowing about them from your years on the road).

3. would a laptop help at all?

thanks for your experience, expertise, advice, and suggestions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    theres app for smart phones, truckstops sell little books for truckstop across the country,
    and a cb radio could help

passingthru69 and BUMBACLADWAR Thank this.
  4. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    I use my Qualcomm for elog only... I really dislike the Navigo crap they have on there, so...

There are a few truck stop apps you can DL for your phone. I use truck stop pro for Android and it helps me a LOT. Not only for TS, but rest areas, cat scal, scale houses, etc...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AppAvenger.TruckStops&hl=en
    and there are others, but I have not tried them.

there is also a couple of websites I have tried...
    http://www.truckstopguide.com/
    http://www.findfuelstops.com/truck-stop-interstate

DoneYourWay and FalconsFan21 Thank this.
  5. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho

6. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Get a good GPS and you'll have all that information at your fingertips

dngrous_dime and Friday Thank this.
  7. ejames82

ejames82 Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2017
    hello slim shady and nukem,

my smart phone is ancient. it is a virgin mobile with gingerbread OS, which is another thing I need to check into doing, getting a more recent phone. installing software is more miss than hit.
    it actually does work to get info from google, which has save me numerous times already. I would like to keep the phone and just purchase another for peace of mind.
    thanks for the great suggestions, guys.

8. ejames82

ejames82 Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2017
    hello LGarrison,

recommend one please.

9. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I use the truckerpath app, people update parking quite often and you can see driver reviews. Also shows Walmart's and weigh stations

A21CAV, Bean Jr. and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Or just buy a truckstop guide for 10$ at any of the large truckstops.

passingthru69 Thanks this.
  11. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Its Easy even on my "Pawn Shop $35 GPS ,I can go to Points of interest and spell out Pilot or whatever and find it.Or the $25 truckers atlas at Loves has all the Truck stops etc.Most truckstops ,they want you to find ie.Right of the interstate,road signs "next exit Diesel Flyin J etc.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.