Can't make it happen...low mileage

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rpad139, Dec 28, 2019.

1. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    I started working for this otr dry van carrier about 4months ago. Medium sized company.

The first month was great, 3000 mile a week was common. Then I ran into a few mishaps with poor planning from manager, dispatchers, broker problems with appointment times...good streak came to an end.

I am planning on quitting again. I hate to leave because I will admit, i have been job hopping lately for these exact reasons...

Does anyone else notice the difficulty of trying to get back on track with mileage after falling behind because of bad planning from managers, weather conditions?

LtlAnonymous and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Forgive my uninformedness speaking as one who’s never ran OTR, but some ups and downs pretty much par for the course once in a while, especially this time of year?

4. rpad139

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    I am looking at salary based companies now. I want a weekly guarantee

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    its part of this time of year with the holidays. all the big 3 holidays fall in the middle of the week this year and it has been a tough time for a lot of people to get steady freight going. there is no reason to quit. trucking has great weeks and #### weeks. ive had weeks where ive ran 4100 miles in a 65 mph truck wihtout doing anything illegal in the logbook. it is part of the game sometimes. ups and downs are common. enjoy the rest of the year and relax. first of the year seems to iron out the kinks of the holidays

6. rpad139

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    truck is not moving so im just bored, just an observation I made with this company so far, things are not lining up for me.

Rideandrepair and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  7. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Like said its not great for ever any where this time of the year. Each job has up and downs. Slower times and busy. I would say if they treat you right try to stick with them. Get to hopping jobs to much not a good thing when filling out apps. Usually new trucking jobs have a "honey moon" where they run you mayby a little extra. Good paying runs. Then the marriage starts.

8. HazmatTanker

HazmatTanker Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Everyone spent all their money and are now broke and in debt. Its going to be slow till mid February unless you enter an industry that is immune to most of the ups and downs in the economy.

9. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    I work local and have to agree until the 6th its going to suck , nothings moving except the rail.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Holidays are the worst time for trucking.

What you CAN do is buy a bunch of doughnuts and a few coffees for everyone in dispatch center and then take a minute to ask your dispatcher in this quiet time if there are any issues between you and overall people in dispatch.

They will tell you if there is.

Dont quit. Be nice. Fortune favors the bold and all the rest cry #### in the rain.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Know anything about this company?
    Reefer outfits don't have slow times unless they're extremely mismanaged.
    Chois Trucking, Inc.
    3367 Trickling Stream Cir
    Las Vegas, NV 89117

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.