Car Hauling Is Not As Lucrative As It Once Was

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by MooneyBravo, Dec 28, 2019.

1. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I recently posted a question on Truckers Report regarding new or used vehicles. I'm hearing that used is the better way for now. My company has just lost our contract with Belvedere Chrysler in Belvedete, IL. I understood a few years ago that it wasn't a high $$ contract to begin with. Apparently the manufacturer asked us for another rate reduction. Every time you turn around manufacturers are always trying to get transporters to reduce their rates. Not sure who under bid us. I know we lost Toyota/Elwood to United back in November. At the same time we seem to keep signing new contracts with other manufacturers.

Car hauling seems to be getting cheaper and cheaper. I usually run from Baltimore to Milwaukee and Appleton, Wisconsin. Then I would come back down to Elwood, IL and do another Wisconsin. Then I would head down to Chrysler /Belvidere and load my East Coast load for Baltimore or Delaware area. For those three runs I would average about $2300 per wk.

The only thing we have coming out of Elwood is Wisconsin and Illinois Freight. We weren't really making that much money out of Belvidere so I can't imagine how somebody could get away with cutthroating us. I have no intention of running all the way up to Appleton, Wisconsin and then have to deadhead all the way back to Toledo, Ohio for my next load for a lousy 400 miles. it just doesn't make sense to run all those deadhead Miles when you're not getting paid for it. It's getting pretty scary out here.

On a sidenote: This isn't about non-union companies coming in and stealing jobs from Union companies. We have a lot of former Jack Cooper and Cassens drivers working for us.
    America was built on Capitalism. Nobody can last out here, union or non-union if the manufacturers are going to keep on asking for rate reductions.

There was a time when you used to really make a fortune hauling cars. I'm talking like over $3,000 a week just by driving a company truck. It all started with deregulation around 1980 and it's taken the car hauling division time to catch up with the rest of the trucking industry. The other problem is everybody found out how much money there was to be made hauling cars and now everyone and their mother is showing up with these wedge trailers and 7 or 8 unit trailers that you can pull with any commercial truck tractor.

I'm trying to make a transition into real estate investment using other people's money. Until I get that going full time trucking is all I've ever done. The industry is going to have to reinvent itself and I don't think that robotic trucks is going to save the trucking industry from the driver shortage.

More and more I hear of drivers coming and going in this business and lately I've heard of people getting into car hauling for a couple of years and then packing their bags and going elsewhere. Aviation has had the same kind of problems. The only difference is that it costs a lot more money to go to school and come out with an airline transport pilot endorsement.

I know that the aviation industry is starting to create programs that pay for pilot training and offer more attractive pay scales. They too have had a shortage of people to fly planes because of the lower entry level pilot wages.

It's always been in the name of saving consumers money but there's always a price to be paid. It reminds me of when places like Walmart started showing up. Little by little factories closed their doors and opened up new doors overseas.

You can still make good money in car hauling but you have to work a whole lot harder to do it. Trading your time for money has always been the worst equation for financial success and nowhere is this more sadly realized than in the trucking industry.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Itsbrokeagain, PSM379, Tobytob and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    As most of you know if you aren’t ready for change you won’t like trucking. Someone will haul the cars and often the only thing that changes is the color of the trucks. The drivers often go from one company to the next that gets the contract. I also truly believe that if some company bids the freight too cheap and doesn’t pay market wages they will not have anyone to haul it consistently. Yes there are some bottom feeders that will, but most professionals won’t.

This may not be “the good old days of carhaul”, but those days are long gone. What I am referring to is the Allied Systems owner ops who often made more than the CEO.

I am not convinced that things are bad. There is still good paying freight at most every company. There is also some junk freight at most every company. Many people realize that I walk to a different beat than many of the people in this industry. My opinion of why it is because I don’t accept failure. If something does not work for me successfully I won’t do it. By successfully I mean well compensated for the amount of time, energy and capital required from me. I am 8 years in to carhaul and 4 years as an owner op.

I happily choose to lease to a large carrier strictly hauling new vehicles. We have a wide variety of freight with a variety of rates and ease of loading and hauling. I haul a very small segment of that freight that gets me home more than any trucking job of my 32 years. It also affords me an income better than what I have had in my 32 years. My income is nearly double my best year at UPS which was the easiest and best paying job I have ever had. Mind you I have not had bad paying jobs in the majority of my adult life and have consistently earned six figures since the early 90’s. In the early 90’s it took two jobs to do it, but once I became accustomed to something I didn’t plan to ever go without it.

I work roughly 45-55 hours a week, 45 or 46 weeks a year and don’t have one single complaint about my income. I also will not ever work for less next year than I did this year and need a modest increase on occasion. A rate reduction would cause a change for me. I hear guys gripe about the rates on this forum and I truly believe their situation could very well suck. My situation does not suck or I would not be in it.

If my body holds out I will haul cars for my carrier for 5-6 more years gradually tapering my work schedule down to part time. If my body gives out tomorrow I will retire. Some owner ops already have nicknamed me Part Timer and I am good with that name. Is this job perfect? Hell no it isn’t, but it is pretty #### good and presently I am not willing to trade it for anything else. I choose to own and operate a carhauler because I want to and don’t do it because I have to. I am an eternal optimist so I believe my situation will be good the rest of my career, but if something happens where it isn’t, I will be ok.

4. Nobroker

Nobroker Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    You got the deregulation part right, the anti union company/worker mindset hasnt helped. Do you think the big three would have given up anything if the workers just asked for a raise. Here is what you get when your segment of work is considered weak.
    Pickup: TX - Houston, 77061
    (Houston - Sugar Land - Baytown)
    Delivery: GA - Marietta, 30062
    (Atlanta - Sandy Springs - Marietta)
    Marietta Truck Sales Inc. (122) 100.0%
    (770) 422-7009
    M-F 9-5; Sat 10-2 EST
    Reference ID: A61490
    2011 Ford Econoline Wagon -
    2011 Ford Econoline Wagon -
    $300 COD (Check)
    813mi @ $0.18/mi

Must deliver m-f 9p-5p or sat 10-2!!!! no exceptions!!!!!

Yet i see a $1625 destination charge on a f150 window sticker, who does the auto maker blame ? The workers, Mary Barras 22.8M compersation for 2018 was just fine. I dont know wtf is wrong with truck drivers. 3 day nationwide work stopage would get attention when the national guard has to deliver groceries on the fourth day. As bad as things are in trucking last year i stopped shopping amazon and walmart i have been paying up if i can find what i want made in America. In some cases it means paying double. Everyone that wants it yesterday for the lowest price is the reason this country got so f'd up.

5. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I agree with you. There are many factors responsible in the whole equation. Most of it is because we live in a selfish world where people are into themselves. That's one of the reasons why truck drivers have never been able to organize. People want something for nothing and they don't know how to make any sacrifices. And on top of all that nobody really respects anyone anymore. It's not just the four-wheelers. Most of the truck drivers out there are just as bad with the way they drive. I used to blame the unions for a long time but then after a while I realized it wasn't the unions it was greed in our world. That's why the unions evolved to begin with. The union boys lost a lot of their pension recently. Most of these Union boys stayed on with outfits like Cassens and Jack Cooper all their lives because of the pension. But because of greed it seems that they got screwed anyway. And as far as organizing is concerned I don't think the US government really wants us organized to begin with because they know how much power we would have. They know that without truck America stops.

already gone and Kawinige01 Thank this.
  6. MooneyBravo

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    Thanks for your input. It sounds like you have it together as an owner operator. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews out there about becoming an owner operator so I've been very reluctant to move into that category.

blairandgretchen and Banker Thank this.
  7. Kawinige01

Kawinige01 Heavy Load Member

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    45-55 hrs a week??? You're working to hard.. lol..lol..lol

Banker Thanks this.
  8. Kawinige01

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    I think the amount of work required to be a owner op isn't for everyone. I think people rather whine about the rates than go find some better rates. Or do what they have to to make it. I can imagine when it sucks and you have a truck/house/car/toy payment to make every month it can be quite stressful. Especially when it slows down or some work is lost

Bill O’lading and Banker Thank this.
  9. Nobroker

Nobroker Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    lol , go find some better rates . Do you book your own loads ? Im sure eveyone would be an O/O if reality was working 45-55 hours a week and averaging $65 per hour for those hours worked. I read these posts and i see how rates are so low. On the street i hear company drivers & O/O complain. When there is decent paying work i hustle to get the next load when there isnt i hustle to get back home. Sorry i will stay home before taking these #### loads or drive empty to go home. What is do what you have to to make it mean ? Take loads paying 2bucks a mile, id rather fast.

10. Bill O’lading

Bill O’lading Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2019
    being an o/o is definitely not for everyone. new trucks are expensive! insurance is expensive! fuel is expensive! tires are expensive! maintaining a stinger that belongs to you is time consuming beyond the HOS!

Kawinige01 Thanks this.
  11. Kawinige01

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    Ok

Banker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.