Car hauling vs dry van vs reefer

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CarHauler757, Oct 7, 2019.

1. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I pulled reefer for 6 years. Reefer driver does alot more all night runs, alot less drop n hook, trailer washouts, more midnight deliveries, more lumpers, and longer load and unload times. Not to mention reefer breakdowns.

x1Heavy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CarHauler757

CarHauler757 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Sounds like you guys have a different devil to deal with. I’d love to ride with someone for a week just to see what it’s like. All I’ve ever done is haul cars.

rachi, x1Heavy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. CarHauler757

CarHauler757 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Yes a semi with a 5 car trailer. Just tired of the crabs in a barrel routine. Seems there is more freight on the other side. The mega car carriers have all the good stuff locked up. O/O fight for leftovers

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I did well my first year hauling reefer. You have to keep an eye on reefer temp and its an extra tank to fill when fueling. Its steady work regardless what the market is doing.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    If u like cars why not try out flatbed? Car hauling is probably the toughest job in trucking there is. If u enjoy the work and getting out of the truck then try flatbed, u get to use ur brains and the people you deal with are worlds different than the ####ty warehouse idiots at the reefer and dry van places.

Fabulous Maximus and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A different devil?

Ok. I can answer your wish for a week really easy.

You will be hopping one foot to the other like a Teddy Bear whose Ride has come in style up the street to pick you up.

You will manage to get into everything within the hour.

You might even sit for your very first greasy truckstop meal finished off by coffee.

Now it's time to GO.

to the shipper 40 miles away.

Are we loaded yet?

Suns setting. Finally loaded whoo hoo...

10 PM or so you realize that the truck aint stopping for a #### thing for near three days and nights.

Are we there yet?

rachi Thanks this.
  8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    If you are like me and enjoy driving overnight then try reefers. No traffic, closed weigh stations, no bs.

Sometimes reefer unit breaks down. In the almost 2 years doing it so far ive had 2 reefer breakdowns. And one time in Pheonix my reefer couldn't hold temp under AZ insane summer sun. Fortunately a storm blew in and once it did it was fine after that.

Fabulous Maximus and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    The only way I'd do reefer again is a company truck by the hour. I did that in the midwest for almost 4 years in the 80's. You get to know the people at these warehouses, Super Valu Green Bay was the worst and Certified in Chicago, they wouldn't let you on the dock.and they know who gets paid by the hour, and they mess with the other drivers. They take 2 pallets off and are gone for 15 minutes. I didn't care, I was making money sitting there, the only bad part was telling MY boss what took so long. I've also seen places that have no room for your product and they can't put it on the floor, so guess who's reefer is keeping it cold, out back? Years ago, we used to trip lease from reefer brokers shadier than a grove of oak trees. I'm sure mega carriers put those guys out of business.

rachi and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    My average wait to get loaded is about 3 hours. Then I take that stuff to one of my terminals and it gets unloaded and reloaded in the same time. One time I waited 6 hours for a single pallet of 4 drums. But I suspect that was because my codriver kept going inside and trying to hurry them.

I dont do only grocery mind you, I'm on a dedicated deal, so my company doesnt want me sitting around for very long. We get priority when we help out doing food. The solo guys that do only grocery wait longer.

rachi and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I did reefer and cars and dry van. I liked the cross country dry van the best. Cross country reefer was pretty good. Yes the pick up and deliver sucked but the driving for days and days was the fun part.

I did inclosed car hauling the 8 car stingers. They had soft curtains sides. I did BMW Mercedes Benz and Porsche. The money was good and Driving the cars was kinda fun. We had little cab over trucks. It was not fun car hauling. It was pain. Since we hauling high end cars people with the money to buy them lived in the northeast. Monday - Saturday we did NJ and northeast. The BMWs come in NJ from the boat. Then we did longer runs to Wisconsin or Chicago over the weekend for Monday delivery. It was cold in the winter and hot in the summer. It took 3 hours load the truck. Then they changed stuff like the Porsche cars used to pick up in Charleston SC and they moved them to Baltimore that was a lot less money for the drivers. Today the trucking company is out of business. It was BMT Bavarian Motor Transport

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.